Updated: Which one of these kits should I go with as my only kit?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I am trying to pick one kit that will be my only kit, I am sure a lot of you guys have had this idea in mind.

I want the kit to be able to cover anything from small combo jazz settings to pop rock to classic rock, but not anything heavy like metal music. The kit needs to be relatively easy to transport. Desired largest bass size is 22”, depth could be 14-18”.
Sound, looks, and portability (weight) are very important.
Currently based on my taste I have 2 kits in mind that I will need to decide between. I know there are Gretsch, Ludwig, customs, and a lot of awesome vintage kits out there but here are my two picks: both are somewhat hard to find but I am ok to wait.

1) Yamaha Club Custom in swirl orange (thin Kapur shells) - I could get a 20x15 14x13 12x8 and find a 16” matching floor tom or be lucky to find a set that includes the 16” floor. I could also get the 22/16/14/12 but finding a 18” matching bass drum could take million years since this kit is discontinued. I would want to play a smaller bass drum than 22” in a small club.

2) Premier Signia 75th anniversary kit (thin Maple shells) Transparent ebony with wood hoops and gold lugs, I know this one is limited Edition and might be hard to find but I am ok to wait to find one, this is a one of a kind kit in my opinion.
Only sizes made were 22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 14x12, 16x14 And 14”x 5.5” snare and all come together. I could use the 22” bass for rock, and for small club gigs use the 16” floor tom as a bass drum, I think it will sound ok. I love the look of this kit but parts might be harder to find for this compared to Yamaha.

I know one of them is Maple which is usually the preferred wood but Price-wise they are not too far from each other, both in the $2000 range. I think the Yamaha will be more expensive once I add drums to it but since it is my only kit I am ok with the difference.

UPDATE: I looked into buying a new kit as a 3rd option and I like the Ludwig classic maples. If I order this kit new I will get the 20/14/12 and 16” floor tom. The Premiers are not being considered anymore.
I am deciding between used set of Yamaha Club Customs in orange swirl and new Ludwig Classics Maple.
This is going to be my only drum set that I plan on keeping. which one of these would you pick if you were me?

I am not asking what would your one and only favorite kit be because there is Already another thread going on about that which someone else started.
also note that I am not trying to make a big shell bank to have a 18”,20”,22”,24” bass drums, I am trying to downsize and cover anything from Jazz to pop/classic rock.

many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think this a trick Question.

If you can concentrate on (pick) one set one series and one finish- you can own multiple bass drums sizes -
Multiple mounted and multiple Floor toms all in Same finish Same Series.

then match and mix to suit venue etc

Most don't get the same finish or something- it's not easy..unless a start from total scratch (no pun)
and then move quick before the series or color or something is discontinued etc
It's kind of an Ideal. Few reach without some hot rods among the combination's
In other words one small Shell bank of two or three bass drums (or what ever you can)

Last edited:

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Think this a trick Question.

If you can concentrate on (pick) one set one series and one finish- you can own multiple bass drums sizes -
Multiple mounted and multiple Floor toms all in Same finish Same Series.

then match and mix to suit venue etc

Most don't get the same finish or something- it's not easy..unless a start from total scratch (no pun)
and then move quick before the series or color or something is discontinued etc
It's kind of an Ideal. Few reach without some hot rods among the combination's
In other words one small Shell bank of two or three bass drums (or what ever you can)
haha what part of it is tricky? The shell material?sizes?price?

I see your point but at most I will need 2 bass drums (18” and 22”) or if I can get by with a 20” then only one bass drum will suffice. I don’t really want to order a brand new kit and have a shell bank since I am downsizing but I can see 22/18/16/14/12 as a good option and Not too many drums but a brand new kit is going to be considerably more expensive and there isn’t a brand new line I am really interested in.

so from the kits I have listed which one would you go with?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
discontinues series/finish or both..before shell bank is completed)

based on those two (discontinued) neither. If I understand you correctly.
What do you own now.
Ok then you are only in favor of going from scratch then, or go with a kit that all sizes are readily available to purchase and have a shell bank (used).
I have two 5-piece kits and a couple snares, and I want to have only 1 drum set and maximum 2 snares.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
the two you mentioned even second hand, are not cheap/low cost/ even if you could find them
So maybe a more popular line
Yes they are not cheap but they are cheaper than ordering a new kit (5 piece + snare), If I go with Gretsch it’s gotta be the brooklyns at least, If I go with Ludwig it’s gotta be the classic maple or the legacy maple. All of the brand new kits will cost considerably higher than the two Used kits I listed.
Now when I started this thread, the cost wasn’t the issue, I just mentioned it to give the reader the idea of the price too for the the comparison of the two kits.
P.S. I never buy anything brand new unless it’s got electronics.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go 18” BD depth for jazz as part of your music played. Just a preference.
Oh ya, my intention was never to use a 22”X18” bass for jazz, maybe the way i wrote is confusing. If I go with the second kit I will use the 16” floor tom as a bass drum, for jazz.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd say the yamaha since in the long run it would be easier to find parts for should a need ever arise. Either would be a great choice but I'd be thinking of the long term and the yamaha just makes more sense to me.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hooo... I mean, I feel like the only reasonable answer is to go with whichever one of those kits miraculously pops up first. Even so, you might be waiting a very, very long time.

I haven’t been watching specifically for 75th anni Signias, but I’ve also never seen any for sale (and I do habitually check Premier listings on eBay and Reverb).

CCs, on the other hand, are something I actively hunt for, and so I know from painful experience that they are becoming more and more difficult to acquire — especially if you’ve got a specific color/configuration in mind.

Not trying to be a naysayer, but with the wants/needs you describe, I just wonder if you wouldn’t be better off picking a kit where there’s more guarantee of being able to realize your vision. Something more prevalent on the used market. Or something still in production.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd say the yamaha since in the long run it would be easier to find parts for should a need ever arise. Either would be a great choice but I'd be thinking of the long term and the yamaha just makes more sense to me.
Very good point, thanks for your input. How about the bass drum sizes?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hooo... I mean, I feel like the only reasonable answer is to go with whichever one of those kits miraculously pops up first. Even so, you might be waiting a very, very long time.

I haven’t been watching specifically for 75th anni Signias, but I’ve also never seen any for sale (and I do habitually check Premier listings on eBay and Reverb).

CCs, on the other hand, are something I actively hunt for, and so I know from painful experience that they are becoming more and more difficult to acquire — especially if you’ve got a specific color/configuration in mind.

Not trying to be a naysayer, but with the wants/needs you describe, I just wonder if you wouldn’t be better off picking a kit where there’s more guarantee of being able to realize your vision. Something more prevalent on the used market. Or something still in production.
I see your point, I mean I won’t deny finding the Yamaha will be difficult but just in the past month 2 different sellers had them listed on Reverb. One of those sellers had the shell bank and didn’t want to split it up when I messaged him but I guess someone made him a good offer and got the 20/14/12 separately in the end. At least I have the snare :) I think it will be much easier to find the Yamaha than the Premier, I think only 150 of those Premiers were made but I see your point, it is easier to get a readily available kit of course but I am ok to wait to downsize a bit.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, what’s your pick between the two?
I would lean toward the Club Customs. I had a kit with 24k gold lugs and it was a pain in the ass. Look at them wrong and they tarnish. Polish them one too many times-no gold. I’d be worried about piano gloss black and gold hardware for wear and tear purposes to gig with, especially since it’s an un-replaceable kit. I had a kit kinda like this, and I fretted about it anytime it went out. Also graduated away from 22x18 size a lot of years ago.

May I also suggest the Sakae Trilogy drums? Same builder as the Club Customs and super lightweight for gigging. May be a bit easier to get/build sizing, especially right now.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had both kits and still have the orange swirl club customs. I LOVE those drums. But good luck finding add ons. I’ve got a 10/12/16/22 and still would love a 9x13 and a 13x14 ft.

My CC's and Signia's (which I re-wrapped in silver glitter glass

2019CluCustomsLaFuentes.JPG

Copy of p1010001.JPG

Last edited: