header.nohb.html

Upgrading a Cheap Kit vs New Kit

bdlp_r

Reaction score
I realize that the OP is in Mexico, but you mentioned a budget of about $1500. That’s what a Wafarer kit from INDe would cost. There was also a maple kit on the INDe site for $1250. They also sell single drums, if that would make the shipping hassles worthwhile.

Just a suggestion. (Waiting for my INDe kit to be built and delivered, hence my enthusiastic tail-wagging.)
Man I’m so jealous I’m really craving an Inde kit. The cost is actually not that bad. I did get a price quote for shipping to mexico last week. Amazing customer service btw. Total for a wafarer maple kit including import taxes and shipping was like $1815.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Man I’m so jealous I’m really craving an Inde kit. The cost is actually not that bad. I did get a price quote for shipping to mexico last week. Amazing customer service btw. Total for a wafarer maple kit including import taxes and shipping was like $1815.
You won’t be sorry if you do it…

wraub

Reaction score
When I went from whata set of drums to a set of drums that does everything I need with room to spare, it was like an instant shot of improvement for my playing. Inspiration on tap, any time.

There's a lot to be said for obviously better gear. ;)

Good luck with the INDe.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You oughtta be able to find a quality used kit for way less than $1500 and you didn’t mention cymbals ??

Do you have good cymbals ??

Blue Zurich

Reaction score
You oughtta be able to find a quality used kit for way less than $1500 and you didn’t mention cymbals ??

Exactly (yeah I think he has cymbals) I can think of a dozen great shell kits (no snares) for less than 1200 that will blow away the current drums he has. What I have for instance, Gretsch Bop, 12/14/18 $1200 and used is going to be even sweeter. Hell, there is a Brooklyn Bop at my local store in Satin Burnt Orange Mint Cond for 1400. I don't think finding a sweet shell pack around $1k leaving room for shipping to Mex is going to be a problem let alone all the local bateria retailers

bdlp_r

Reaction score
Exactly (yeah I think he has cymbals) I can think of a dozen great shell kits (no snares) for less than 1200 that will blow away the current drums he has. What I have for instance, Gretsch Bop, 12/14/18 $1200 and used is going to be even sweeter. Hell, there is a Brooklyn Bop at my local store in Satin Burnt Orange Mint Cond for 1400. I don't think finding a sweet shell pack around $1k leaving room for shipping to Mex is going to be a problem let alone all the local bateria retailers
Indeed still searching for good deals. So many posts encouraging to buy used is actually awesome. For my $1500 budget I’d need to find a $1200 kit in the US (or local) to allow roughly $350 for taxes and shipping. Most of the time good deals get nixed because they don’t want to ship internationally.

bdlp_r

Reaction score

Yes I do…. Bosphorus, Paiste, Agop, Meinl, Murat Diril, a Timothy Roberts mod…. Cymbals are my weakness.

Plaid Sabbath

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indeed still searching for good deals. So many posts encouraging to buy used is actually awesome. For my $1500 budget I’d need to find a $1200 kit in the US (or local) to allow roughly $350 for taxes and shipping. Most of the time good deals get nixed because they don’t want to ship internationally.
Accepting offers on this one…

Here’s one direct from INDe…

bdlp_r

Reaction score
Accepting offers on this one…

Here’s one direct from INDe…
Thanks for the heads up. The maple one sold. The aluminum one is too loud / big. I want an ultra compact set 16" or 18" bd. I play with acoustic guitars and piano at least 50% of the time and my back hurts.
Still searching. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. The maple one sold. The aluminum one is too loud for me. I play with acoustic guitars and piano at least 50% of the time.
The aluminum drums are louder ?
Who told you that ?

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. The maple one sold. The aluminum one is too loud / big. I want an ultra compact set 16" or 18" bd. I play with acoustic guitars and piano at least 50% of the time and my back hurts.
I would not say that my Timbatom is louder than my concert toms. And these are nice and light weight drums. The shells are pretty thin, as well.

bdlp_r

Reaction score
I would not say that my Timbatom is louder than my concert toms. And these are nice and light weight drums. The shells are pretty thin, as well.
I believe you. I don't want to get caught up in the particulars, but I saw a review that said that the Aluminum Wayfarers played a little louder than the Maple Wafarers. tbh I'm just believing that review at face value. I've just found that having a wood drum, thin shells and small sizes makes it easier to control the volume. Obviously it comes down to technique, but I am not a master so for my mediocre hands, it's easier for me to control the volume on kits with those characteristics. Not necessarily that the maximum possible volume is more or less. The super compact sizes I also want because of storage AND playing area constraints, car space constraints and back hurting constraints.

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe you. I don't want to get caught up in the particulars, but I saw a review that said that the Aluminum Wayfarers played a little louder than the Maple Wafarers. tbh I'm just believing that review at face value. I've just found that having a wood drum, thin shells and small sizes makes it easier to control the volume. Obviously it comes down to technique, but I am not a master so for my mediocre hands, it's easier for me to control the volume on kits with those characteristics. Not necessarily that the maximum possible volume is more or less. The super compact sizes I also want because of storage AND playing area constraints, car space constraints and back hurting constraints.
You don’t have the luxury of trying these out, either. I get it.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Correct. A lot of people have done this on softer woods (i.e. luan) with great success. Don’t go crazy; just wipe on a couple coats of Minwax wipe-on poly in satin finish.

That's what I've done with a couple of my sets and it seems to help the tone a bit. Could be placebo effect, or just me getting better at tuning, but it seemed to help.

When I got my Breakbeats my bandmates couldn't believe the floor tom could sound so big. The previous owner had put Evans G2 coated on the toms (stock reso heads) which probably helped too. It's not my favorite kit I own but it does sound pretty good. I wouldn't spend a ton on upgrading it but some new heads and a poly finish should help bring some more tone out of it.