Upper Tier Snares and the Veblen Effect?

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree with Chris (Whitten) on being ok with spending extra money for the extra % of gain you'll get, even if it doesn't seem the extra cost justifies the gain. I've amassed a modest collection of drums that are considered recording classics. Some of them I got for large coin, some for small. I record enough and gig enough with people who "feel" that a Pork Pie BoB just won't substitute for a BB, even though the BoB can get 95% of the BB sounds. It's that extra 5% that led me to save up and just get a BB. Same with my N&C SS Maple. Sure, lots of solid shell maple drums in the market. N&C has a reputation as a "go to" drum in high stakes situations. I'd rather pay more up front and have that extra bit of confidence, and be able to deliver that confidence to an engineer.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
At the end of the day you have to make yourself happy. I owned 2 high end kits in a row and still felt the need to downgrade, lol. I settled with 6 ply ludwigs. Is it really a downgrade though? Look back and think about how many kick ass records were made with drums just like mine.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd rather pay more up front and have that extra bit of confidence, and be able to deliver that confidence to an engineer.
I settled with 6 ply ludwigs. Is it really a downgrade though? Look back and think about how many kick ass records were made with drums just like mine.
When it comes to recording, I def. want to have that confidence, that's why I have always brought at least some classic pieces. Maybe it doesn't have the most refined sound, but a sound many people know and love. Doesn't need to be that expensive (although prices increasingly reflect popularity).
Some "better" sounding high-end instrument might not sit in the mix as well, or transport the same emotion.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Most importantly the sound is in your ears and your hands. You have to have a sound in mind and then your hands have to be able to produce it. A great snare, (or any instrument) whether expensive or not, can help get you there. If you can hear a sound and feel it in your hands then spending good money for a good instrument is justifiable.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
At the end of the day you have to make yourself happy. I owned 2 high end kits in a row and still felt the need to downgrade, lol. I settled with 6 ply ludwigs. Is it really a downgrade though? Look back and think about how many kick ass records were made with drums just like mine.
Agree....

Too many great records have been made with off-the-shelf kits to use THAT as a reason for an upgrade. Especially since the average listener today is probably streaming at a bit rate that couldn't reproduce the difference anyway....lol.

BUT every player should do what they feel is best according to their needs and makes the most sense for them.

Heck, if I could reproduce the drum sound of say Morello or Bonham on those old "records" I'd be plenty happy. And as a listener I don't recall ever thinking I was missing anything vs. a modern recording of a high end kit.

Different, yes, but not in a substantial way.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Witness Brian Blade making a $100 steel Sensitone sound better than anyone else's $1000 snare.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Witness Brian Blade making a $100 steel Sensitone sound better than anyone else's $1000 snare.

Depends on whether you mean “his playing is stellar and that outweighs the nominal quality of the drum” or if you mean “this drum really sounds better”. I agree with the first, not the second.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Depends on whether you mean “his playing is stellar and that outweighs the nominal quality of the drum” or if you mean “this drum really sounds better”. I agree with the first, not the second.
I really mean it sounds amazing when he plays it.

Latest posts