UPS nightmare

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
Have you been through this ordeal?
I shipped some nice Agop 30th hi hats through Reverb shipping (via UPS).
The package required a signature. The buyer was not home when the package was delivered, so the package was transferred to an auto parts store designated as a UPS pickup location (the buyer claims he didn't request this transfer: not sure if this is normal procedure). The buyer went to the auto parts store and they don't have the package, even though someone at the store signed for it.
Luckily, I purchased insurance, since these cymbals are expensive, but I've never experienced a debacle like this. I assume Reverb will compensate me fully if the package isn't retrieved.
Did the guy at the store sign for the package and then steal it? That's pretty bold.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we're at it with shipping debacles...

A couple months ago, I had a few packages delivered to a pharmacy chain (Rite Aid) from Amazon and they were OPENED by the pharmacy staff. No one would own up to it when I asked why they were opened.

Amazon failed to send me scan codes and numbers for the items, so maybe the staff were trying to find more info inside the packages, but you don't OPEN somebody else's packages, ever!

Luckily, nothing was missing, but I had to prove that the packages were mine with my ID and matching the items to the orders I showed them on my phone, which took half an hour, 2 employees and 2 managers.

I won't be using them for a shipping location or anything else again.

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
Reverb is responsible when you ship through them:

"If your item is damaged or lost during shipment and you've purchased Reverb Safe Shipping with a Reverb Shipping Label, we'll cover the cost of repairs or reimburse you for the sale amount.*

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can select “delivery to reciever only” with UPS.

If you have insurance on the shipping you are eligble for a refund if it turns out lost.

Did they have the signature to verify/send to you to check?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
It happened to me with FedEx delivering my C&C kit in Texas to the wrong house. On top of that, when it was found, the bass drum was ruined from being dropped and denied my claim. Cost me $1400....

Last edited:

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
You can select “delivery to reciever only” with UPS.

If you have insurance on the shipping you are eligble for a refund if it turns out lost.

Did they have the signature to verify/send to you to check?
No, it's still "awaiting receiver pickup".

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really do feel for those that have no option other than to make their purchases outside of an in-person buy. I've been fortunate that every purchase I've made were in-person except a Guitar Center online purchase of my 'retirement' kit. A used YMCA kit. It was the first time I ever bought a kit that way. The horror stories abound are mighty sad to hear about.

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
I really do feel for those that have no option other than to make their purchases outside of an in-person buy. I've been fortunate that every purchase I've made were in-person except a Guitar Center online purchase of my 'retirement' kit. A used YMCA kit. It was the first time I ever bought a kit that way. The horror stories abound are mighty sad to hear about.
Yeah, it's tough. The only drum store left in the SF/Oakland area is guitar center, which is not good. Other than that, you've got craigslist. You can sell stuff much quicker on Reverb and most of the buyers are good people.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's tough. The only drum store left in the SF/Oakland area is guitar center, which is not good. Other than that, you've got craigslist. You can sell stuff much quicker on Reverb and most of the buyers are good people.
I'm done buying gear anyhow. I'm set with what I've accumulated over the past 50 years anyhow. I've owned and toured with over 30 different kits by over a dozen manufacturers and chose my 'retirement' kit because I've owned them twice before.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There's also Starving Musician in Berkeley.

Plus Dubs Drum Basement (in Dublin) and A Drummer's Tradition (San Rafael) are both pretty easy drives from the area, if you have transportation.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
All
There's also Starving Musician in Berkeley.

Plus Dubs Drum Basement (in Dublin) and A Drummer's Tradition (San Rafael) are both pretty easy drives from the area, if you have transportation.
All great instrument stores if you’re local. I don’t lament losing the few that were in the city like I used to.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and head to Dublin (about 30 miles from Oakland and right off of 580) and go to Dubs Drum Basement. Owners name is Darren Phillips. David Garibaldi teaches there on occasion.