UPS nightmare

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No offense to anyone here, but even if I were the kind of guy who would buy a $1000+ snare drum or something equally (imo) extravagant, I would only either make that transaction in person, or through a mega-corp that will just rubber stamp the claim. We've had some problems with USPS in our area losing stuff and then pointing to their GPS check-in as a way to deny claims, as if that means anything. My wife lost a new purse that way. We apparently bought it as a gift for whoever stole it. I picked up that good deal bbshams was offering on the Hakim sig snare, and if it wound up being a loss I would have been really pissed off, but it wouldn't have ruined my year. Would the loss be less than the cost of a speeding ticket? If so, I'll take a chance on the army of delivery people whose quality and training decrease as their numbers increase (as you could expect with any workforce).

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
I order lots of drum parts online, but as of yet have not have had trouble with UPS or Reverb, for that matter. However, I sent a cymbal to Sabian for a refresh, and it took USPS 20 days to ship it from Arizona to Maine. It took Fedex 5 days to return it to me from Canada. The head of customer service at Sabian told me they often have trouble with USPS.

Corbin L Douthitt

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we're at it with shipping debacles...

A couple months ago, I had a few packages delivered to a pharmacy chain (Rite Aid) from Amazon and they were OPENED by the pharmacy staff. No one would own up to it when I asked why they were opened.

Amazon failed to send me scan codes and numbers for the items, so maybe the staff were trying to find more info inside the packages, but you don't OPEN somebody else's packages, ever!

Luckily, nothing was missing, but I had to prove that the packages were mine with my ID and matching the items to the orders I showed them on my phone, which took half an hour, 2 employees and 2 managers.

I won't be using them for a shipping location or anything else again.
bet the Pharmacy staff didn't bother to look at the addressee-- just opened the box-- THEN realized it wasn't for them. I have done that for my neighbor- they often use my address to ship gifts to each other- I didn't notice the name- just the address.. seal it up and let them know it arrived..

XDrums

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you been through this ordeal?
I shipped some nice Agop 30th hi hats through Reverb shipping (via UPS).
The package required a signature. The buyer was not home when the package was delivered, so the package was transferred to an auto parts store designated as a UPS pickup location (the buyer claims he didn't request this transfer: not sure if this is normal procedure). The buyer went to the auto parts store and they don't have the package, even though someone at the store signed for it.
Luckily, I purchased insurance, since these cymbals are expensive, but I've never experienced a debacle like this. I assume Reverb will compensate me fully if the package isn't retrieved.
Did the guy at the store sign for the package and then steal it? That's pretty bold.
If you paid the extra insurance through reverb they should compensate you for this but they will have to approve it. I would contact them immediately which I’m sure you have. This happened to me where a cymbal was damaged and they refunded the buyer and me.

ppfd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dan, what was the reason fed ex denied your claim?
Government should opening “investigations“ on these shipping companies and them not paying insurance claims.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shipping companies use the excuse that you didn't pack it correctly. That's the #1 insurance denial for shipping companies. As long as it's overpacked (take pictures inside and outside the boxes always) and insured with signature, they will have to pay the claim. It happened to me once and they promptly paid.
I overpack, insure and pay for direct signature on everything. The signature part is very important! I had a case where the recipient never signed but someone else did. So he said that he never received it. The shipping company paid!

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Dan, what was the reason fed ex denied your claim?
Government should opening “investigations“ on these shipping companies and them not paying insurance claims.
They said the box was not packed correctly. It was ugly, I’ll admit that. I appealed four times.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPS and Fedex do not insure your packages.
The extra fee they charge is for you to declare a higher value in case there is a claim that they may or may not pay. They do not sell, nor do they charge for insurance. There's a subtle bit significant difference.
Reverb's seller protection is closer to insurance.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The shipping companies use the excuse that you didn't pack it correctly. That's the #1 insurance denial for shipping companies. As long as it's overpacked (take pictures inside and outside the boxes always) and insured with signature, they will have to pay the claim. It happened to me once and they promptly paid.
I overpack, insure and pay for direct signature on everything. The signature part is very important! I had a case where the recipient never signed but someone else did. So he said that he never received it. The shipping company paid!
I’ve said before, I don’t think a shipper can issue an insurance policy on a poorly packed item, collect the premium, and then deny the claim because it wasn’t packed correctly. If the shipper is uncertain whether it is packed correctly, then it shouldn’t issue the insurance. If it does, it accepts the risk of loss.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve said before, I don’t think a shipper can issue an insurance policy on a poorly packed item, collect the premium, and then deny the claim because it wasn’t packed correctly. If the shipper is uncertain whether it is packed correctly, then it shouldn’t issue the insurance. If it does, it accepts the risk of loss.
It's not insurance. It's just a value declaration.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with you but unfortunately they get away with it. I'm sure some fine print exists somewhere that we inadvertently agree too every time we ship. Since they can do this, I just make sure to protect myself by doing everything that I listed in my post. In the end, we really don't have a choice since we're limited by a few shippers.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree with you but unfortunately they get away with it. I'm sure some fine print exists somewhere that we inadvertently agree too every time we ship. Since they can do this, I just make sure to protect myself by doing everything that I listed in my post. In the end, we really don't have a choice since we're limited by a few shippers.
Despite the fine print, IMO, if they charge a premium for the insurance, they accept the risk.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You don’t pay extra for it?
You pay extra for it, but that doesn't mean it's insurance. It's not even the fine print, it's the big print:
What is declared value?
It's important to remember that declared value is not insurance. Rather, declared value represents the maximum liability for which FedEx will accept in connection with your shipment.
(from )

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There’s an inherent risk in handing a box of goods over to any commercial carrier, and just as with Russian Roulette, each time you play the odds of fatal error increases. I would wager most of the people upset over damages spend a relatively inordinate amount of time shuttling boxes to and fro around the country. Businesses allow for these inevitable shipping damages and write them up as a loss. Gassers apparently expect 100% success and mark it up in moaning.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You pay extra for it, but that doesn't mean it's insurance. It's not even the fine print, it's the big print:

(from )
If the shipper is guaranteeing compensation for damage and charging a premium for it, then, IMO, it’s insurance despite the shipper’s denials.