UPS nightmare

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There’s an inherent risk in handing a box of goods over to any commercial carrier, and just as with Russian Roulette, each time you play the odds of fatal error increases. I would wager most of the people upset over damages spend a relatively inordinate amount of time shuttling boxes to and fro around the country. Businesses allow for these inevitable shipping damages and write them up as a loss. Gassers apparently expect 100% success and mark it up in moaning.
Wow.

What did you even say? Never mind. I don't really want to know.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's the point. They're 100% not guaranteeing compensation.
I haven't seen the terms you are referring to. If I may ask, what are they charging extra for if not to guarantee compensation when they damage your property?

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't seen the terms you are referring to. If I may ask, what are they charging extra for if not to guarantee compensation when they damage your property?
They're allowing you to declare the maximum value you can win IF you can prove that they were at fault for the damage. (And just to be clear, I think FedEx are scum, and I'm not defending them at all -- I got burned by this distinction in the past)

From https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/SG_TermsCond_Intl_2020.pdf:

Declared Value for Carriage and Limits of Liability (Not Insurance Coverage)
The declared value for carriage of any package represents our maximum liability in connection with a shipment of that package, including, but not limited to, any loss, damage, delay, misdelivery, nondelivery, misinformation, any failure to provide information, or misdelivery of information relating to the shipment. It is the shipper’s responsibility to prove actual damages. Exposure to and risk of any loss in excess of the declared value is assumed by the shipper. You may transfer this risk to an insurance carrier of your choice through the purchase of an insurance policy. Contact an insurance agent or broker if you desire insurance coverage. WE DO NOT PROVIDE INSURANCE COVERAGE OF ANY KIND.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With all these debacles I hear of regarding UPS, USPS and the like, I doubt I will ever order drums or drumming equipment.
I'll pick it up myself, or just not order it.
I hear ya, but the only folks I can rely on from the drum shops are states away from me, so I have no choice.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Have you been through this ordeal?
I shipped some nice Agop 30th hi hats through Reverb shipping (via UPS).
The package required a signature. The buyer was not home when the package was delivered, so the package was transferred to an auto parts store designated as a UPS pickup location (the buyer claims he didn't request this transfer: not sure if this is normal procedure). The buyer went to the auto parts store and they don't have the package, even though someone at the store signed for it.
Luckily, I purchased insurance, since these cymbals are expensive, but I've never experienced a debacle like this. I assume Reverb will compensate me fully if the package isn't retrieved.
Did the guy at the store sign for the package and then steal it? That's pretty bold.
So who gets reimbursed? You as the seller or the guy who blew his money and
never got the cymbals?

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
So who gets reimbursed? You as the seller or the guy who blew his money and
never got the cymbals?
Both. If the seller buys insurance, the seller gets reimbursed for a lost or damaged product. The buyer also gets a refund after filing a claim for the package not received. Reverb eats the cost of the cymbal.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Love me some UPS.

One on its way to Mexico, on on its way to Sweden. And picked up at home so no heavy box carrying to the shop.

Two packages send to Italy and the UK arrived safe too.

cobaltspike

Reaction score
You don’t pay extra for it?
UPS has insurance for anything up to 100 bucks, beyond 100 you can pay for whatever value you want. At all the UPS stores I have been to they all call it insurance, as in "do you want to insure your package?" I have relatives that work for UPS and they are told it is insurance. They also are very good at paying claims while FedEx, not so much. To the guy that had his drums delivered to the wrong house you should get in touch with the manufacturer or seller and have them deal with their shipper.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPS has insurance for anything up to 100 bucks, beyond 100 you can pay for whatever value you want. At all the UPS stores I have been to they all call it insurance, as in "do you want to insure your package?" I have relatives that work for UPS and they are told it is insurance. They also are very good at paying claims while FedEx, not so much. To the guy that had his drums delivered to the wrong house you should get in touch with the manufacturer or seller and have them deal with their shipper.
Folks at UPS stores do not work for ups. UPS stores are privately owned franchises.

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
All I know is, I guess it's inflation, but it cost me $35 to ship an 18" crash via ups recently! When I used to sell/buy on ebay 6-10 years ago all the time I swear it was around $15ish. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
All I know is, I guess it's inflation, but it cost me $35 to ship an 18" crash via ups recently! When I used to sell/buy on ebay 6-10 years ago all the time I swear it was around $15ish. Maybe I'm just getting old.
How large was the box and how did you get the label?

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
How large was the box and how did you get the label?
Only about an inch bigger than the cymbal (had stiff foam around the edges) and maybe 3 or 4 inches deep. It was a repurposed box Sabian shipped something in to me. Took it to the local ups store.

mathale

Reaction score
Have you been through this ordeal?
...(via UPS)...
...The buyer was not home when the package was delivered, so the package was transferred...
Well, UPS and the others here in Texas haven't enforced delivery signature since the pandemic started. Just received a cymbal yesterday (w/signature required), found it sitting on my porch.

mathale

Reaction score
That's what I'm probably going to do with my 90's Yamaha Maple Custom kit. I'm not shipping and don't want to deal with craigslist with that kit.
Just sold my mid-'90s Yamaha Maple Customs. Didn't want to deal with Craigslist or shipping. I did put it up on FB Marketplace. Anyway, would up trading it in towards purchasing a new kit and used the music store's FedEx business account for a break in pricing. Ultimately, it was still $$$$ and a $#&%! shipping nightmare. Spent a total of 5.25 hours (yes that long) at FedEx whilst they packed it (on two separate occasions because they realized that they didn't have a large enough box for the bass drum the first time). Never again.

Shovel&Pale

Reaction score
Well, UPS and the others here in Texas haven't enforced delivery signature since the pandemic started. Just received a cymbal yesterday (w/signature required), found it sitting on my porch.
Apparently here too. Got an email saying it had been delivered and found it under a table on the porch.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Only about an inch bigger than the cymbal (had stiff foam around the edges) and maybe 3 or 4 inches deep. It was a repurposed box Sabian shipped something in to me. Took it to the local ups store.
UPS stores will charge more than 1.5 what you pay if you ship yourself. Depending on the distance you could probably ship an 18 anywhere in the US for about $20.