Used cymbals through Musician's Friend

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just in case this hasn't already been talked about here:

You can browse used cymbals on the Musician's Friend website (and drums--but my experience was with cymbals). There are some good deals hiding in there--I recently picked up a pair of Sabian AAX stage hats in good condition for under $100 (even after shipping). I was looking for a top to go with a HH bottom hat I have, but of course there are a lot more orphan bottoms out there as opposed to tops. Came across the AAX and had to pull the trigger.

The Stage Hats sound great--it sounds even better pairing the AAX top with the HH bottom I have. A nice combination of bright and dark, reminds me of something out of the HHX line.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Edit: I misread. I just learned how to read today.

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s not. They are their own chain of independently owned stores. They are part of the same company that does Play It Again Sports, Platos Closet and a few other second hand stores.

I actually buy quite a bit from them. They have some great deals.
You are thinking of Music Go Round, not Musician’s Friend.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The problem I find with them, they are not as descriptive with the conditions of the cymbals as, say someone, on Reverb. They never mention if fleabites, chips, etc. The pictures never reveal much.

I purchased once, and cymbal was listed only as 'good condition'. I emailed that store and asked for a better description, but never heard back. The price was good, so took a chance before someone else grabbed it...they cymbal was not 'good'...deep scratches etc. I had to ship back at my expense for a refund...the cost shipping both ways was just under $100....would never do it again.
I sent an email to the head office, mentioning they need to be more accurate. They never list weights or anything...all important attributes. They replied they would suggest to their retailers they be more descriptive....never happened

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem I find with them, they are not as descriptive with the conditions of the cymbals as, say someone, on Reverb. They never mention if fleabites, chips, etc. The pictures never reveal much.

I purchased once, and cymbal was listed only as 'good condition'. I emailed that store and asked for a better description, but never heard back. The price was good, so took a chance before someone else grabbed it...they cymbal was not 'good'...deep scratches etc. I had to ship back at my expense for a refund...the cost shipping both ways was just under $100....would never do it again.
I sent an email to the head office, mentioning they need to be more accurate. They never list weights or anything...all important attributes. They replied they would suggest to their retailers they be more descriptive....never happened
I don't think MusFrd / Guitar center ever charge nearly $50 to ship a cymbal. To return a 22" cymbal from east to west USA will never cost more than $30, so if it's the return shipping fees that affect your decision, check with me or others here on how to ship efficiently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think MusFrd / Guitar center ever charge nearly $50 to ship a cymbal. To return a 22" cymbal from east to west USA will never cost more than $30, so if it's the return shipping fees that affect your decision, check with me or others here on how to ship efficiently.
They do...GC, may not...but I do know Music Go Round does, which is who we are talking about.....and Yes, I ship cymbals out weekly, since I have a Reverb store. I use FedEx all the time, due to efficiency. It cost me $38 from Atlanta to West coast...that includes insurance and signature required upon delivery

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do...GC, may not...but I do know Music Go Round does, which is who we are talking about.....and Yes, I ship cymbals out weekly, since I have a Reverb store. I use FedEx all the time, due to efficiency. It cost me $38 from Atlanta to West coast...that includes insurance and signature required upon delivery
Oh, thought was about Musician's Friend. (Funny, if you use the initials for that store, it comes out "bad person.")

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
Agreed. Some of the pictures make it pretty obvious some things turning up in, say, a 'Sabian HH' search are not in fact that make and model. I got lucky--the pics were decent and the cymbals were in good shape.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Funny, this is the 2nd time this thread has caused this confusion. The thread title is about MUSICIAN'S FRIEND, not Music Go Round.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, thought was about Musician's Friend. (Funny, if you use the initials for that store, it comes out "bad person.")
No, you were right. And yes, that gets caught in the profanity filter because so many people have tried to use it.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny, this is the 2nd time this thread has caused this confusion. The thread title is about MUSICIAN'S FRIEND, not Music Go Round.
Yes, but someone somewhere along mentioned Music Go Round, so I added my 2cents. I don't think though, that MusFrd sells 'used'. Do they?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but someone somewhere along mentioned Music Go Round, so I added my 2cents. I don't think though, that MusFrd sells 'used'. Do they?
Yes, as I mentioned in my first post on the topic, you can shop Guitar Center's used inventory through Musician's Friend's website.

drumstuff66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love buying used from Guitar Center. You have 45 days to return any used gear shipped from them to your local store if not happy.

If you make a good case for the description being wrong you'll get shipping refunded as well. Easy to find a difference between good and excellent.

Not sure if Musician's Friend offers the same deal, but they are showing GC used inventory. Find something you like, go on GCs site and buy it...

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love buying used from Guitar Center. You have 45 days to return any used gear shipped from them to your local store if not happy.

If you make a good case for the description being wrong you'll get shipping refunded as well. Easy to find a difference between good and excellent.

Not sure if Musician's Friend offers the same deal, but they are showing GC used inventory. Find something you like, go on GCs site and buy it...
Does MusFrd now own GC, or vice versa?

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes on cymbals, I have an HH pair sitting by the front door waiting for a GC return label due to two nasty unshown, undescribed cracks.

I bought a Tacoma acoustic bass from Music go Round and, despite the fact that it was dirt cheap, the folks there did a free set up because a string buzzed when they tested it before packing.