Used Drum Kit recommendations

Rmgreg

Reaction score
I've been out of drums for a bit and recently picked up a very nice Roland TD-30 kit with Tama iron cobra double bass pedal. I play mainly rock and some country and would like to get a good pro level acoustic set for a music shed I'm building. I will likely buy used, something with at least 3 toms, Snare 3-5 cymbals. Are there any new kits that are reasonably priced that i should condisider? I was leaning towards DW, Pearl, Tama or Ludwig in no particular order. Any advice on particular series to watch for or avoid? I see alot of the K series cymbals. Is that a good all around choice? Advice, tips or recommendations appreciated.

I just saw a 57 piece used DW set for $2k online that has mics, amps, cymbals, roto toms and more. Seems like a crazy good deal

Attachments

Last edited:

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Good to know. That's what the listing said. I thought it was too good to be true
Yeah -- and the seller calling it a "57 piece" is a giveaway that they either don't know anything about drums or that they live in their own world. The "piece count" should reflect drum shells only.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you're going to spend 2k on the whole set including hardware and cymbals, you're definitely going to need to buy used to get something more pro-level. You may be able to find a good deal on a used Ludwig Classic Maple or a Pearl Masters or a Tama Starclassic Performer in the 1k-1.2k range, leaving the rest for cymbals and stands. If it were me, Classic Maple or Starclassic Performer is what I'd buy.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep an open eye on Reverb, Ebay, FB, and CL in your region. Buy the best deal in a quality drum set with pro cymbals and hardware. That's your best deal. Buy one of those 5-10% of kits that are priced well enough where you essentially get the cymbals or drums for free. It happens a lot. There are crazy good deals all the time. Be patient and keep looking until one pops in your area and you are the first to call. Real DW kits in my region are in the $2000-$2500, with most of them sitting. And that's just for the shell packs. You can probably land a nice, unmolested, vintage Gretsch, Rogers, Slingerland, Ludwig 50's, 60's, 70's kit fully equipped in the $1000-$2000 range. I ran into a wonderful mint 7 piece Tama Starclassic Performer (all birch) Cherry Wine 2005 kit on Ebay (10,12,13,14,16,22, snare) earlier this year for $595....located only 1 hr from me. Only 2 of us bid on it. Yes, good deals can pop anywhere.

Last edited:

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Yeah -- and the seller calling it a "57 piece" is a giveaway that they either don't know anything about drums or that they live in their own world. The "piece count" should reflect drum shells only.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you're going to spend 2k on the whole set including hardware and cymbals, you're definitely going to need to buy used to get something more pro-level. You may be able to find a good deal on a used Ludwig Classic Maple or a Pearl Masters or a Tama Starclassic Performer in the 1k-1.2k range, leaving the rest for cymbals and stands. If it were me, Classic Maple or Starclassic Performer is what I'd buy.
I'd prefer to spend $3500 or less all in. I just stumbled on that listing a $2k. The Ludwig and Starclassic were high on my list. I am planning to likely need to get my own cymbals. Any thoughts on those?

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Keep an open eye on Reverb, Ebay, FB, and CL in your region. Buy the best deal in a quality drum set with pro cymbals and hardware. That's your best deal. Buy one of those 5-10% of kits that are priced well enough where you essentially get the cymbals or drums for free. It happens a lot. There are crazy good deals all the time. Be patient and keep looking until one pops in your area and you are the first to call. Real DW kits in my region are in the $2000-$2500, with most of them sitting. And that's just for the shell packs. You can probably land a nice, unmolested, vintage Gretsch, Rogers, Slingerland, Ludwig 50's, 60's, 70's kit fully equipped in the $1000-$2000 range. I ran into a wonderful mint 7 piece Tama Starclassic Performer (all birch) Cherry Wine 2005 kit on Ebay (10,12,13,14,16,22, snare) earlier this year for $595....located only 1 hr from me. Only 2 of us bid on it. Yes, good deals can pop anywhere.
Nice and yes that's how I make all purchases. I got my mint Roland TD-30 for $1,000 by shopping around and being willing to drive 5 hrs to BFE. I was unsure about the vintage sets so I'm glad you mentioned them. I'm pretty "vintage" myself so I've always liked the older sets with some history but didn't know if there had been improvements in quality or technology in newer sets. I play a silver sparkle older Ludwig set in lessons that he said was a mid range set and I really like the look and feel.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd prefer to spend $3500 or less all in. I just stumbled on that listing a $2k. The Ludwig and Starclassic were high on my list. I am planning to likely need to get my own cymbals. Any thoughts on those?
Cymbals are certainly personal preference. Pro level baseline stuff would be Zildjian Avedis or A Custom, or Sabian AA or AAX. The Sabian stuff in those lines can often be had for great prices.

Rmgreg

Reaction score
Cymbals are certainly personal preference. Pro level baseline stuff would be Zildjian Avedis or A Custom, or Sabian AA or AAX. The Sabian stuff in those lines can often be had for great prices.
Like these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/25005XCPB--sabian-aax-performance-cymbal-pack

Or

Or

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Like these?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/25005XCPB--sabian-aax-performance-cymbal-pack

Or

Or

Those are the series I mentioned, but used ones can be bought for much less if you look around. There are some here for sale on the forum, or Reverb/eBay, Guitar Center’s used website, etc.