Used market drying up?

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or just nothing good for sale in my area? My local Craigslist listing are really sparse right now. Also not seeing things in numbers on Reverb or Ebay that I would expect, but maybe that's just things I would be interested in.

Anyone else surprised at the lack of stuff for sale? Is it just me? I thought we'd have a lot more motivated sellers given the amount of people out of work.

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured the used market, at least on Reverb and eBay, would be overstocked. Craigslist is very cyclical. Also, prices are so low that I'm not selling the tons of stuff I have and want to sell. There's a difference between taking a loss and giving it away.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen piles of vintage Zildjians and 60's through 70's vintage USA drum kits go through REVERB the past couple of months. Less of that on Ebay, CL. The FB market place seems fairly lively with vintage kits. Prices seem to still be mostly high. The really cool stuff is usually gone off CL within 1-4 hours. If you're not paying attention "all the time" you won't even know the item came and went. I sold 4 vintage Zildjians/Paistes on REVERB in the past 2 days.....on items listed for a couple months or so. And that was after weeks of a dry spell. All of a sudden everyone got "woke." It's hard to explain. So many Zildjians on REVERB (especially the 60's through 70's) tend to be absurdly priced....about 2X the real market. But maybe those sellers figure one rube per year will bail them out.

My CL has gone pretty dry the past couple of months. But stupidly cheap drum kits still come through about once per month. The last one was just 2 weeks ago where a decent 1980's 4 piece Yamaha RC kit was listed for $450. The seller sort of knew what it was and had it a "long" time (Yamaha custom recording kit). Listed late afternoon....sold by next morning. I was the 2nd caller on that one.

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not surprised. The best local deals are typically from non drummers who fail to understand or even research set value. I gather many rather not expose themselves to risk especially if the perception of reward is low. I anticipate a trickle followed by flood of vintage gear once people feel more safe.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of people are moving from Craigslist to Facebook Marketplace. Here in the No. Virginia/Washington DC/Baltimore market it's a veritable gold mine for anything drum related on FB Marketplace, but the occasional nugget will pop up on Craigslist.

thestorysold

Reaction score
I feel like locally for me Craigslist has been pretty dead for awhile. seems like most people post stuff on FB marketplace these days.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen piles of vintage Zildjians and 60's through 70's vintage USA drum kits go through REVERB the past couple of months. Less of that on Ebay, CL. The FB market place seems fairly lively with vintage kits. Prices seem to still be mostly high. The really cool stuff is usually gone off CL within 1-4 hours. If you're not paying attention "all the time" you won't even know the item came and went.
Yeah, I am not watching consistently, so I could definitely be missing stuff.

Prices do seem high to me as well. I've made reasonable offers on Reverb only to be countered with something almost as high as the original price. It's just cymbals, but I see this stuff has been on Reverb for 6 months, 8 offers made, none taken. I guess people don't have a problem just sitting on stuff.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give FB marketplace some attention. Don't really like searching for stuff there, kind of clunky.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll give FB marketplace some attention. Don't really like searching for stuff there, kind of clunky.
Agree. That FB search function is horrible....often eliminating many items that should show up one's search. And far too often searching by "most recent items" gets you far less than the other choices. But some deals do pop up from time to time.....but not as often as CL or EBay. My FB page only allows a 100 mi search. On CL I can search out 200 miles with ease.

On Ebay, I seem to get about half of my cymbal offers accepted. I guess I'm somewhat able to judge who the weaker handed sellers are....and at what price point they should "let go." The REVERB cymbal sellers are certainly a bit sharper than the Ebayers. It's harder to pry most of those loose.

Last edited:

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Depends whether you're looking for trophys or instruments. A lot of entry level gear right now, but there always is anyway. Once the programs end, watch out! There will be a ton of stuff f/s.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Prices do seem high to me as well. I've made reasonable offers on Reverb only to be countered with something almost as high as the original price. It's just cymbals, but I see this stuff has been on Reverb for 6 months, 8 offers made, none taken. I guess people don't have a problem just sitting on stuff.
"Reasonable" is subjective at best. I've been doing the Craigslist, et al scouring for over a decade. I have a very very good idea of current market values on most vintage drum items. What I see is a lot of people holding onto stuff believing it is worth far more than it actually is. They seem to cling to the irrational belief that they, or their "drum expert" friend Earl, know more than the collective market.

Conversely, I have experienced more than my far share of asshats making offers at or below 50% of things priced already 10% or more percent below current market value.

This is why I snipe these sights. First one to call, pay right then, race to pick up (as evidenced by my recent $8 60's Gretsch Round Badge kit with snare snag). It helps that I have 5 monitors at my desk and work from home. After the scores, I sell to friends, or offload random stuff at MusicGoRound, and give away the rest.

thestorysold

Reaction score
Agree. That FB search function is horrible....often eliminating many items that should show up one's search. And far too often searching by "most recent items" gets you far less than the other choices. But some deals do pop up from time to time.....but not as often as CL or EBay. My FB page only allows a 100 mi search. On CL I can search out 200 miles with ease.
if you use FB on mobile it only allows you to set it to 100 miles. if you use a computer you can set it to 500 miles. I do this from time to time and end up getting disappointed because when I do find deals it's the people who know nothing about drums and they are unwilling to ship.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best deals I run into on CL are often from ex-drummers who bought their kits "long" ago, for not much money. And they don't think they're worth anything more than they paid....and sometimes less. For example a WMP '65 Gretsch 12,14,20 + supra + hardware + Zildjians for $600 around end of last year. I asked the 68 yr old owner why so little? He had no idea of the value and didn't bother to look around....and he didn't need the money either....it was really more about "clearing space." He probably only paid around $600-$800 for it brand new in 1965. I've seen that happen several times in the past 12-18 months on really nice, high end kits.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you use FB on mobile it only allows you to set it to 100 miles. if you use a computer you can set it to 500 miles. I do this from time to time and end up getting disappointed because when I do find deals it's the people who know nothing about drums and they are unwilling to ship.
Interesting. I have a Dell Desk Top and my limit on internet FB searches is 100 miles. I am a registered FB user as well. I must be doing something wrong.

thestorysold

Reaction score
Interesting. I have a Dell Desk Top and my limit on internet FB searches is 100 miles. I am a registered FB user as well. I must be doing something wrong.
if you click on your city, which should be on the left side of the page under 'filters' you can change the distance.

Capture.PNG

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You have to go to the new site. then select 500 miles, then change back to the old if you prefer.

Last edited:

Ajbambino

Reaction score
I was actually thinking the same thing to myself. I'd usually find some great gems on Craigslist here in Chicago, but so far for the last month it's been pretty MIA. Surprising to me, the best deals ive gotten were off of Guitar Centers online used section. Got a huge extended drum rack for 100, a roc n soc for 75, and a Pearl straight stand & PDP boom stand for ONLY 35.

I know guitar center was hurting and investors were wondering if they were able to pay their debt, but yeah, they've been having some sick deals!

Like Craigslist, Reverb and eBay though have been pretty crappy recently from what I've seen with people asking way above what it should be. More than if you bought just new...which kind of defeats the purpose.