Using a crash as a ride

gmiller598

Reaction score
I currently own the entire line of the Stanton Moore Sabian Crescent series and I've found when I scale myself down to a smaller setup and cymbal sizes, I'm using the 18" Smash Crash as a 2nd LH ride when using the 20" Wide Ride as the main ride. It seems to be the best option based on what I own to fill that spot. When I do a larger setup, I bring the 22" Wide Ride back and move the 20" back to the left side and the 18" then resumes a normal crash position.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a scenario where they use a crash cymbal that is not designed as a crash/ride a a ride cymbal.

drumstuff66

Reaction score
I play a couple of places where for cymbals I only bring hats and a 18" A Custom crash. It's an older one (1996), back when the A Custom line was just "Crash", "Rides" & "Hi-Hats" and weighs 1388g (around Crescent 18" range I think?). Thin, good bell for Latin stuff/accents and responds pretty well hot rod/rute type sticks, too, IMO

I will say that I've found some guitarists/vocalists I play with are looking for a lot less traditional ride stuff than it seems they did a few years ago - That's why I chose a crash I can sometimes ride, over a ride I can crash if that makes sense. Your Crescent could work as a LHR I'd think, given you'll still have a main one set up. In a more traditional ride role, I'd want a little more definition than the A Custom. Nylon tips could bring it out more as well....

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an old (early 70s maybe) 20" A that's probably a medium crash based on its weight and shape, and I use it as a ride quite often. Good stick and a great crash.

Original white label 20" Giant Beats were considered "multi-application," - I own four, and one of them is one of the best rides (and crashes) I've ever had. Think Charlie Watts "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" ride.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 19" formula 602 that had very little sustain even when hit hard. I punched 8 rivets in it and it is a fabulous home made sizzle ride. I have it set-up to the left and another ride to the right.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I briefly owned a 20" AAX Metal Crash and for my touch...it was a super sexy jazz ride...only I don't play much jazz....I should have held onto it.

gmiller598

Reaction score
I play a couple of places where for cymbals I only bring hats and a 18" A Custom crash. It's an older one (1996), back when the A Custom line was just "Crash", "Rides" & "Hi-Hats" and weighs 1388g (around Crescent 18" range I think?). Thin, good bell for Latin stuff/accents and responds pretty well hot rod/rute type sticks, too, IMO

I will say that I've found some guitarists/vocalists I play with are looking for a lot less traditional ride stuff than it seems they did a few years ago - That's why I chose a crash I can sometimes ride, over a ride I can crash if that makes sense. Your Crescent could work as a LHR I'd think, given you'll still have a main one set up. In a more traditional ride role, I'd want a little more definition than the A Custom. Nylon tips could bring it out more as well....
yeah, I don't know the exact weight of my crash but the ones on mycymbal.com all float around the 1300g range. It seems to have a good defined ride sound to it when I play with it in that capacity and does seem to blend pretty well with the 20" ride too. It certainly seems to help that both the 20 and 22 wide rides have good crash qualities too. It almost feels like the 18" crash is just and extension of that since it has the similar underside lathing.

toddbishop

Reaction score
For jazz, ideally, you should be able to ride and crash everything-- I usually only buy things that do both well. A lot of crashes have too much wash at most dynamic levels-- even the larger ones.

Most Cymbal & Gong crashes function as both, even though they're not labeled crash-rides-- one of my own cymbals is a 17" thin crash that rides well through a decent range of dynamics, but also responds quickly when crashed.

Reaction score
One of the best rides that Paiste ever made was a 20" Sound Creation Dark Crash. One of the wonderful aspects of music, "If it sounds good, it's right, If it doesn't sound good, it might not be right; But it's never wrong."

MSG

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some crashes have a different surface tension, or what it is, that lets the beat come out clearer even at a thin weight. Same model, different cymbal, it might be all wash.
My first crash ride was an 17" IAK dark crash thin, brilliant finish. Used it as left side cymbal for quite a while, even as secondary ride for big band. More recently I got a thin 18" K Custom Dark that does the same but at a slightly different pitch. I still have that 17", should set up both and compare.

The wash just shouldn't get out of control with ride playing and cover up the stick sound. This can happen with larger cymbals too, even (lighter) ones designated 'ride'. When it comes to cymbals, it's always better to close your eyes and keep your ears open.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wasn't it Mel Lewis that said all my cymbals are rides and all my cymbals are crashes?

Buddy Miles rode his crash into a wall of shimmer often.

nylontip

Reaction score
I've used a Paiste 20" medium crash as a ride. The 20" Giant Beat multi is a nice ride (and crash too)

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Wasn't it Mel Lewis that said all my cymbals are rides and all my cymbals are crashes?
Yes but the point of the entire statement was missed and mangled over the years by many.. The entire statement was " I see today one ride and a million crash cymbals. You don't need the crash cymbals. You can hit any cymbal ie Ride for a crash"

People have reversed that over time suggesting built specific crash cymbals as Rides was what Mel was saying. No. Mel basically was saying All Ride Cymbals (built- specific) And you can hit them (the Rides) for the crash (accents..

Still unclear? I know I know..

He specifically said " he saw "today" 1 ride and a million crash cymbals in "players" sets ups"
ie almost like a Buddy set up with one ride and 3 or so crashes--- Mel was saying "All Rides" (as in specific purpose built ridable Rides) From that you tap any of the rides for a crash cymbal.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
In a way I think Mel was anti- Buddy cymbal set up. And more into two rides right and left (and a third "special) down low right.

But Bringing this forward to err "modern" (ie Rock) times.

wash Riding.
That can and is done with Crash cymbals.
that's where the "ride a crash" happens (not the Mel -style)

Now in the "Mel-style' or err "sensitive-styles" Some will argue all-day:
their K Custom Dark Medium-Thin Crash is a "good, great" fill in your adjective_ Ride.

Ok. Not here to argue that.

Back in the day Avedis had a few 18" Rides. They still have a total of 2 listed.
Mel's Old Ks were symphony cymbals so an 18" there was more of a Ride. Ok? With me?

Today Bosphorus makes a 19" Crash and a 19" Thin Ride.
Therein is the difference. That (Thin Ride in 18, 19) harks back to the old K (1 8 " ) function.
In the sensitive settings.

Wash Riding is another ball game.
and not what you may want left and right, riding 'bebop for 6 choruses'.

Last edited:

SKINZ

Reaction score
18" Paiste 2002 Medium Crash 1981 RED LABEL 4 Rivets RIDES....SSSSSS AND CRASSHHHESSSSSS :cool:

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Before having to go to a low volume situation a Paiste 20 ME crash worked pretty well as a ride. I position the ride above the 2nd tom in a 2-up setting so I put emphasis on a ride with a good crash. I had a piece of tape on the back for awhile but eventually took it off.