Using Duplicates Of Your Main and Backup Snares For Gigging

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
Never owned duplicate snares....have had gigs where I bring a back up...never had a need to use it.

The two snares I did gig/spare with....both spent time on the stand in practice so my band was familiar with each sonicly (they were different but both worked well). One was an Eames, One was an Old Supra

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I'm super familiar with a venue, I take two that are similar. If it's a new venue, I take three that are different so I can find the best sound there, then I add the results to the good ol' venue spreadsheet, so when I play that place two years later, I can take the perfect snare, kit, and ride.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always bring a spare snare drum, hihat clutch and pedal. I bring them onstage with me. I’ve had all of those items fail and usually I’m only playing one set as part of a multiple band bill, so no time to change heads or wires or go out to my car to retrieve anything. It’s not simply a matter of pre-gig inspection and maintenance. For example, the spring snapped on my pedal recently … no way to have seen that coming.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I maintain my gear very regularly as well and usually don’t run into an issue, but really, anything can happen no matter how meticulous you are. I am also not a heavy hitter, and am a pretty low maintenance player as a result. I don’t own any duplicate snares in my collection.

That being said, I actually carry 3 snares to every show! I always bring one wood and one metal. Whichever snare doesn’t get the opening slot becomes the “backup.” Choices are made largely on the style of music I’m playing rather than the actual venue, although I do consider the environment before bringing anything considered too precious on the vintage end. The third snare is an aux piccolo (brass or steel) that’s always on my left.

Spare kick pedal and a small metal lunch box full of tools and ancillary drum items also comes along, again, packed away nicely. I’ll tell ya - the other band members have needed to fix a few things on the fly and have certainly come to appreciate that tool kit for sure!

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
I did have a double of one snare for a while.
The main snare is a 14" x 5.5" Yamaha Recording Custom Brass with a custom matte black finish.
I had a backup snare that was also a 14" x 5.5" Brass, but with a black chrome finish. So outside of one being shiny and one being matte they were the same. I really liked having two of the same at gigs just in case one went down. However I sold off the Black Chrome snare last year to make room for some new stuff.

Right now I have a "close enough" backup. The main will be a 14" x 6.5" Bell Brass, and the backup is a 14" x 7" Yamaha Brass. They aren't exact, close enough that it works.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
When I bring a backup, it's usually a plain-Jane "sounds good anywhere" drum like an Acrolite or my steel Slingerland Festival snare. It has been worthwhile a few times when the room didn't seem to like the snare I was hoping to play.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just take one snare. No issues so far. I do have a backup head and strings. If I was going to take 2, they would be different as I don't have many duplicate snares.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never taken a back up snare yet to a gig. So far in 40 years of drumming and gigs I have never had a single failure to contend with. Maybe the law of averages are with me now and I'm due for a problem but I maintain my kits so meticulously that if I see the slightest bit of wear on a head or snare ribbon or strings, I change them out with new. I carry replacement items in the event of a problem but have never encountered one anyway. I also have a Roland digital clapping effects pad that in a pinch will get a decent digital snare sound that I could use in pinch to get through the set until break. If there was a problem I could repair my main snare if needed during break. Heck, I don't take anymore than is absolutely necessary anymore. I've been at this a long time and have gotten lazy and stopped worrying about stuff that has never happened to me on a gig. I realize now that I have verbalized my arrogance and I'm due for a failure this weekend! Thanks a lot for the bad Karma! lol!

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It all depends on the level of the gig, the length and power of the show.
Yes, I used to have identical pairs of snares on the big tours. A spare was ready to go at all times, so there was no hold up in the show and the sound didn't change.
These days I usually have a spare, and it can be anything - BUT it really needs to be the same size (depth), as if you need to swap out your snare you don't need to be also fiddling with your snare stand.
"These days I usually have a spare, and it can be anything - BUT it really needs to be the same size (depth), as if you need to swap out your snare you don't need to be also fiddling with your snare stand."

Good point. I'm okay as long as the depth is within a half an inch. If I'm using my 4.5 deep Stanton Moore Signature as my primary, my 5" deep Black Beauty works great. For a long time I used my 5" deep Black Beauty as my primary, then a 5.5" deep Radio King worked fine. Using a 6.5" to back up a 5" doesn't work.

jeffh

Reaction score
I usually take two that I think would be appropriate for the gig, and then in sound check choose the one that fits the mix and the venue best (a tip I picked up from Dennis Chambers). Never had a problem with a main snare that required a backup , but this way a backup is there anyway, just in case. :)

Dtucci

Reaction score
Back in the 90's I used to bring 2 - CoB Gretsch 5.5 x 14s to every show. I never ONCE had to go to the backup, so I finally started bringing a lighter wood shell snare. I only went to to that "backup" in the VERY rare instance that I couldn't get the CoB to sound the way I wanted.

FitDrummer

Reaction score
Great to hear all of the feedback! I gig with a ‘64 5x14 Supra, and use that for entire gig. My backup, or if the gig calls for it, is a ‘65 Pioneer. Reading what has been mentioned, I like having 2 different animals, whether I take one or the other.