Using new Yamaha Lightweight Cym stand as throne base

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought the new Yamaha Crosstown HW3 Advanced Lightweight hardware pack. I've done four gigs now using one of the cymbal stands for my throne base.

I'm using the tube (with a hose clamp on it so it won't slip) and top of an old Yamaha 6 or 7 series throne.

It's more stable than my other Yamaha and Gibraltar thrones, and very light. No sign of any problems yet.

I'm 5'8" and weigh 165, btw. Not sure how well this would work for bigger guys....guess I'd be nervous if some 6'5" 280 pounder wanted to sit in....

Other thoughts about this line are, yep, they're light! But they're bulky too. Well made, but I suspect they will wear out faster than steel stands, especially if you've got a mixture of steel and aluminum in one case. I can't be bothered putting each piece in it's own bag (thoughtfully supplied by Yamaha) so I imagine they'll start to show wear faster than well chromed stands.

Others have noted the hi hat doesn't have a tension adjustment; no problem for me, feels very good with 14" or 13" cymbals. Also, the legs don't swivel. Again not a problem for me, but probably a deal breaker if you play double kicks. (Seems to me a competent handy man could remove the pins and re-position it.) I also notice there is no memory lock included; is this an oversight, or are they worried about collapsing or deforming the tube? I'm gonna put a hose clamp on there...

The supplied bag is pretty good, but again I suspect it will wear out after a few hundred gigs.

All in all, I'm pleased with these, and especially with my new throne base.

Attachments

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I stopped using the bags on my stands and they now have a fair share of scuff marks.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'8" and weigh 165, btw. Not sure how well this would work for bigger guys....guess I'd be nervous if some 6'5" 280 pounder wanted to sit in....
Which is me, or about an inch away anyway, when I'm not at cycling weight (which I just got to, BTW). Even so, my "light" is still well into Clydesdale territory, which automatically disqualifies me from certain lightweight wheels and frames, etc. (I've fooled carnival weight-guessers; I'm heavier than I look for some reason.) That said, I've not had problems using Tama's lightweight single-braced throne, as long as the memory-lock is keyed down tight! It's not too much bulkier than the width of a cymbal stand, this use of which I've nonetheless admired from afar....

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I stopped using the bags on my stands and they now have a fair share of scuff marks.
I still use the bags. It really adds less than 10-15 seconds total to pack up three stands. Just got the snare stand and will use it for a couple of gigs this weekend.

Latest posts