Using shakers live with the kit

bamamule77

Reaction score
We recently did a track and overdubbed some shaker, I really like the feel with it, so what's the best way to pull it off live? The song is swampy and I'm riding 8's on the floor tom the entire time, so maybe hold a maraca and tape it to the stick some? Or, I've seen some shakers that you can mount on the HH. Anybody doing either? Suggestions?

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I for shaker parts, will usually hold a stick in my mouth and play the rest with my left hand and feet

krisredusjazz

Reaction score
When I use a shaker with my right hand, I just end up doing way more with my left hand trying to cover as much as I can of the rest of the groove. It's a little awkward but you can cross over and play the floor tom with your left hand and combine that and the snare part. You can also cover up some of the gaps in the floor tom part with the kick. Just play around with it. It won't sound exactly like it does with the overdubs but you can get something that sounds pretty convincing.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have wound up using cabasas and maracas with my left hand although otherwise playing righty. Works for getting to the cowbells, ride, toms etc.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use Shakerstix a lot. They're not crazy loud, so I usually double up (two in one hand) for louder bands. They absolutely kill for softer stuff though. A little warmer than a regular egg, likely because of the stick. I think.

I'll say that I have had a few issues recently with the egg sliding up and down the stick (and once coming off), but it was easily fixed with some Gorilla Glue.

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
I do this with brushes all the time, but not with sticks. I use a little hand shaker--like an egg shaker with a handle. It is perfectly loud enough for acoustic type settings when using brushes. In fact, I did a gig at a convention on Sunday night doing just this.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I hold one large plastic maraca (similar to this), along with my drumstick, in my right hand. It took some getting used to, but it's the only shaker in my arsenal that's loud enough to cut through on a large stage. I've tried the Stickball and thought it dampened the tone of the drums too much.

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
Heartbeat said:
I hold one large plastic maraca (similar to this), along with my drumstick, in my right hand. It took some getting used to, but it's the only shaker in my arsenal that's loud enough to cut through on a large stage. I've tried the Stickball and thought it dampened the tone of the drums too much.
+1. This works great and the maraca handle fits right in your hand along with the stick, it's surprisingly easy.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
This kinda stuff is my favorite... just a little bit of practice opens up a lot of new spud and groove possibilities! I use the LP maracas (yellow and black... black has a softer tone and you can swap out the fill, but the yellows are super durable and cut like the dickens) w/ a drumstick in Stevens grip pretty regularly. Or used to... need to put those back in my bag, I miss that sound. :)

I've found that with Stevens grip, I can vary the angle enough to control the level of "swing" a bit.

In practice: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AB18q6Pg1LQ

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Ooh yeah, another fun option... try throwing stuff on the floor tom. A chain of old keys, tambourine... be creative. One of my friends has a rattley old hubcap drilled out for a hihat clutch that he throws on top of his hats now and then. It sounds amazing... way more colorful than anything I've found in a drum shop. For percussion sounds around the kit, I really think found objects are often the way to go. :)