Using two floor toms that are the same size.

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor
Reaction score
Any DFO members using two floor toms that are the same size? I’m having a hard time finding a 14” floor tom for my vintage Ludwig kit, and I think I’m going to buy another 16” instead.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
I had two 16” floor Toms with my former Slingerland 80n Kit . I would tune the one for these from the right just above wrinkling and the one closest to me medium low and for a nice pitch spread

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep. Two 16s here cuz 18 just too big for some small gigs.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
Sure, 16x16 is an extra versatile size and in general, using two like-sized drums is no big deal at all. As always, the better the drums used (and the bigger their tuning ranges), the better this will work. I have two 16x16s on my Pearl President set, such healthy drums they can tune more than full octave apart. (The same set also has double 9x13s, also not even remotely a problem.)

karlcrafton

Reaction score
Two ft's the same size works well. The 2 shells will have a different pitch naturally, and I've found that the 16" ft is a good versatile size for higher and lower pitches that actually sound good.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m looking a keystone in champagne sparkle.
How important is originality to you? Seems it'd be economically feasible to buy a B/O fourteen and rewrap it to match. Even change the badge to Keystone if that's a concern. But finding a fourteen at all is very, very hard, so a little modification would seem reasonable to me.

(But I'm not a perfectionist, nor a collector. Perfect originality doesn't mean squat to me as long as the period vibe is there. If originality is important to you, I perfectly understand - only the real thing will do.)

There is some good news in this quest of yours, too, because as soon as you manage to find a good champagne sparkle keystone fourteen-inch floor tom and pay $600 for it, four more will magically show up for half that price!!!!!! Guaranteed. ;)

GeeDeeEmm

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
what about looking for a 15" marcher...? Rewrap if need be. Once I had 14/15 Tempus floor toms...was pretty cool...but duel 16s would work

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't want to sound blasphemous but you could make a matching 14" floor tom. I did this recently for a Slingerland set I have. I had Bernie Stone make me a 3 ply (mahogany/poplar/maple with rings) shell ( the same layup as most late 60's Ludwig drums, he could just as easily do mahogany/poplar/mahogany like earlier 60's Ludwigs). When all is said and done it's virtually indistinguishable from the other drums and blends right in soundwise.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing to have a 14x14 for my Burgundy Sparkle set. The biggest hurdle being getting matching wrap. That could be difficult for a Champagne drum as well. Actually Drum Supply House has the correct burgundy wrap but I'm a bit leery about ordering from them since they didn't answer my emails or phone calls. I was hoping to talk to them at the upcoming Chicago show but that's not happening now. Probably going on the back burner anyhow until this current crisis passes.

14x14 seems to be one of the toughest drums to find outside of rare finish Jazz festivals. People that have them tend to keep them or want a lot for them. Maybe a 14x14 Standard in Silver Mist. That wrap almost always fades to look just like Champagne (many people think that's what they have but that color was never offered in that line) and you can swap out the lugs and leg brackets to the classic style using the same holes. The shell itself is the same as any other Ludwig drum of the time.

As far as dual 16s. No reason that can't work, it did for Buddy, It did for Louie, and I guess it worked for Joe as well.
I was going to do the same (dual 16) for my blue sparkle set but a 14" popped up after about 2 years of searching. I suppose there is a burgundy one out there somewhere as well but that's bound to be expensive.

I could have bought a Club Date 14 at the local Music Go Round about ten years ago for $60. In retrospect I regret not snagging it but I just figured I didn't need it, seeing how I didn't have any other champagne sparkle drums.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Any DFO members using two floor toms that are the same size? I’m having a hard time finding a 14” floor tom for my vintage Ludwig kit, and I think I’m going to buy another 16” instead.
14 you say? There's this guy in Wilson, NC that makes stave snare drums. I think he told me he wasn't set up for other sizes, but surely he could do a keller 14" to match.

Latest posts