USSR BASS DRUM-look at those rods!

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a RMIF snare drum that I am trying to restore, I need some parts that are hard to find even in Russia today.

RMIF stands for Riga Music Instrument Factory, in Latvia. These drums were made c. 1970s - 1980s. The quality is truly terrible. The shells are just some rough plywood with square bearing edges, and the lugs are raw unchromed pot metal. Total crap, but also totally cool.

RMIF1.jpg

RMIF2.jpg

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember Harry Cangany had a Russian made snare drum and the tension rods seemed twice as large (diameter) as normal ones with big, thick threads.

hardbat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a couple of awful-looking Soviet-era cymbals that have up on eBay for a while, that I have almost sprung for out of morbid curiosity.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have this Epoimi snare made in The USSR. Someone here at DFO helped me identify it. I can't recall who it was now, but he seemed real knowledgeable about Russian drums. I at first thought this was British made because of the lugs. (Premier). I am looking for parts too, but good luck on that!

Attachments

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Veblen-esque .

I actually bought a ride cymbal when I was prowling around behind the iron curtain in 73(?) . It wasn't as bad as you might expect . The cymbal, that is .

Last edited:

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have this Epoimi snare made in The USSR. Someone here at DFO helped me identify it. I can't recall who it was now, but he seemed real knowledgeable about Russian drums. I at first thought this was British made because of the lugs. (Premier). I am looking for parts too, but good luck on that!
Your snare is one of the last models EPOIMI made. By that time hoops and tension rods were fairly standard. You can complete your drum with modern Asian parts and it would not look incorrect. The rare parts are the lugs and strainer, and you seem to have those.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Your snare is one of the last models EPOIMI made. By that time hoops and tension rods were fairly standard. You can complete your drum with modern Asian parts and it would not look incorrect. The rare parts are the lugs and strainer, and you seem to have those.
Now I remember it was you Big Beat who educated me on my snare drum. Thanks again and I will try Asian parts to finally complete it.