VALUE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OYSTER BLACK JAZZFEST VS SUPER CLASSIC

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am just trolling for info. concerning price differences between an Oyster Black Pearl Jazzfestival and an Oyster Black Pearl Super Classic, taking into consideration there are no extra holes, condition is excellent, no issues, same time period 1965-67. Thank you in advance.

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
Super Classic meaning basically the same as a Jazzfest only with classic strainer (wires extended only on strainer side, with p-32 butt) ? I"m no expert, but the Classic most likely cost MORE when new...now, factor in RINGO and that would make the Jazzfest the supreme one in price right now. To me they're bout equivilant...seems Classic throw levers got lost quite often, and sometims replaced (drilled) for the p-83.

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Super Classic = $1500 range, Jazz Fest = $4000 range. Did you win the kit on ebay?

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but didn't realize this was a Super Classic and not a Jazzfest until the end of the auction. What do you think?

jojo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i'm confused here. i thought jazzfestival was a snare and super classic referred to a set configuration? otherwise, sorry if i'm missing the point (it's happened before!)

atomicdave

DFO Master
Reaction score
not seeing which one it is...a kit? (seems the "Ringo" kits/snares are washing up on the bay for Christmas)

hutdoug

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i'm confused here. i thought jazzfestival was a snare and super classic referred to a set configuration? otherwise, sorry if i'm missing the point (it's happened before!)
In the Ludwig '67 catalog the first outfit pictured is the "Super Classic". 13", 16", 22" with a "Supraphonic" or matching pearl snare that I assume was a "Jazz Festival". Atomicdave mentioned the difference between the "Super Classic" and "Jazz Festival" snares priced in the catalog at $95 and $85 respectively. It's interesting to note, a
6 1/2" x 14" "Auditorium" was essentially a 6 1/2" Jazz Festival" and listed at $81 with pearl covering. How does today's pricing compare if the drums are anything but "The Ringo" finish?

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
Super Classic snare drums are also a 5-1/2" tall and most Jazz Festivals are 5" but I have heard that some JF snares are 5-1/2".

Drumrocker

Reaction score
I feel for you if you won this kit...http://www.ebay.com/itm/280779240310?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I was in contact with this seller and suggested that she post more detailed photos in order to get the fair price on the 8-lug Jazz Fest which based on the sketchy photos and minimal info I was lead to believe/assume. Finally after many emails, she let out the fact that it's a Classic and sent some photos with the strainer. I then told her she was lucky the bid was at $3100 and suggest she disclose this information as many bidders may/are assuming it's a Jazz. She calimed the phot was adeequate but who am I to argue. If I'd known it was a forum member I'd chirp in here for sure. I don;t know as much about value as Bill but the fact that I won a beautifull Classic in near mint condition for under $900 on Ebay less tha 6 months ago telss me it's only worth a few hundred more than the Poineers I've bought for the $650 range. Hope the Downbeat kit is minty to justify the price.

vintagedrumjunky

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was able to cancel the transaction with this seller, so, I am off the hook.