Value of Gretsch Dixieland snare?

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, at least I think it's a Dixieland. I don't believe it was factory drilled for a muffler, and the seller used the base of the 4 point strainer to attach a modern throw. No extra holes were drilled.
The wrap, as you can see, is toast. The seller is a true gentleman and asks me to offer whatever I believe is fair. We haven't been able to meet up just yet, so I haven't seen the drum, but assuming that everything else is as it should be and a re-wrap and a replacement strainer is all that's needed, what would you offer? Or better yet, what value would you place on this drum once it's reworked (re-wrapped with a replacement 4 point strainer)? No drum key and non-original snare wires.

Sorry, this is the only picture I have.

8a4a3f4e2f0c9afe76a74d9747844e25.jpg

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like a Dixieland. I believe the muffler was left off those to help keep the price lower (although I have seen them with mufflers too). That would most likely be a later example since it has the die-cast hoops. Earlier ones had single flange with the hooks and they tended to bend pretty badly from being tensioned at just six points. At least most of the ones I've seen have been bent.

I bought one of these with toasted wrap a few years ago for $200. I couldn't seem to get one for any less because the parts add up to at least that much so the parts scavengers like Leecountymusic will bid them up to that area then strip them and sell all the parts individually and ask $75 for the badge, 20 per lug, 50-60 per hoop, etc. I was hunting for one because I had a Tangerine Dixie shell that someone else had stripped of parts. It was still cheaper to buy a whole drum to "cannibalize" to refurbish this shell than to buy the original parts bit by bit from one of the cannibals (who had created the very shell I needed to repopulate in the first place). I only paid $40 for the shell with perfect wrap....seemed like a good idea at the time but in the end it wasn't really much of a bargain (who strips a Tangerine Sparkle snare????).

Anyhow figure it's a $200+ drum on ebay, assuming those folks are still at it. That's for one with toasted wrap but they were bidding around the same for good drums (which they still were stripping). I just wanted to avoid wrecking a good drum so I just went after those with issues that I wouldn't feel guilty about dismembering.

The four point "Renown" throw is going to be a tough one to find and probably not cheap if you do....and they generally don't work that well once they get a few miles on them. Figure a piece of "real" wrap will run around $75. Rewrapped will not be worth as much as an original. I'd probably offer $100, maybe pay up to $200 if the seller is scoping out ebay and I REALLY wanted it. Unless the market has changed dramatically in the past couple of years these aren't particularly valuable snares but they can sound good, especially the ones with the die-casts.

66P10.JPG

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
for 80$ with the least amt of work as possible I'd turn it into a Player
And keep it.
If the drum is dry inside and out.. in decent to fair shape structurally.
~
Probably 125$ tops once you put restore work into it.
Cheaper to keep that one me says

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your responses gentlemen.
I wasn't planning on keeping the snare, just restoring it and hopefully breaking even on resale. Strictly a hobby, not in it for the money.
As you said, crazy money for a Renown strainer and hard to find, but the owner thinks he might still have the original somewhere; he replaced it with something more reliable.
He was still looking last we spoke. If he doesn't find it, I'm afraid it'll probably be a no go considering the cost of a strainer.

BTW, I had one of these a while back and was very impressed with the wide open, woody tone. Not boxy at all...I guess the wood aged well, or maybe because it's a 6 lugger.

Not sure how this is going to play out, but I greatly appreciate you guys taking the time.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hoops (very hard to find), badge (plenty out there for crazy prices), and throw (another hard to find) are easily sell-able for $50 each. Shell (it depends) - but probably another $40-50. 6 lugs - call it $40. But would you pay $240 for that poor mangled mess - no way! Ones in good condition only go for $200-250.

I have two of these shells laying around (both WMP) because I needed all the remaining parts.......and still need some.

I think I have a broken Renown strainer (top 1/2) and may have the bottom half somewhere....???

I'd offer $100......and hope......I'd gladly grab it for $100........if you are going to pass, do you think he will ship?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am not a fan of 6 lug snares. I've owned a Slingy student - it was just bad. I do have a few Luddy Pioneers - they are actually pretty good. I have a handful of Gretsch Dixielands - I think 3 - but the only one that's a full snare (the others are just now shells) is a 50's 3 ply in worn satin mahogany that is 5.5x14, has no silver sealer and has no date inside, and I have it on my practice kit at home now.

I have it dialed in with a nice fat sound that is very classic and woody. The die casts hoops help a lot. The shell was bare when I got it and someone had added a P83. I swapped it out for a Gibraltar Slingy-style 3 point throw, and it is a cool player's drum that's pretty good behind a Gretsch USA square badge bop kit.

Although I do want to refinish the outside, it's got some real good mojo going on and I will just let it sit as is.....for now......

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy,

The seller was supposed to get back to me if he found the rest of the strainer (he used part of it to attach the new strainer to, in order not to drill new holes), but I haven't heard from him, so I'm officially passing.
I don't know if he will ship, but here are links to his ads on Craigslist and, more recently, on Letgo; the price difference is because of the cymbals.
BTW, he did send me a picture of the paper tag and it is indeed a 4105, and also has the silver sealer. I have not seen the drum in person so I know nothing about overall condition, roundness, edges etc.

Good luck!

Attachments

Latest posts