Vari-Pitch Drums

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been some talk about roto-toms lately, made me think of these. Anybody have them back in the day?
1618273233209.png

Pedal_Pusher

Reaction score
I remember selling them at the drum shop where I worked in the late 70's. I got some of the internal mechanisms from Mitch Greenburg of Bison Drums in trade and installed them in an old five piece wood shelled Pearl kit. I decided to be OCD about it and also did a 16" diameter snare with a 14" roto tom and put an 18" roto tom into the 22" bass drum. All of the drums had their normal bottom heads. They were fun to play but weighed a ton so I gave them to a local drum teacher. The larger diameter roto toms are sometimes hard to find. By the way, one of the best head options you can do for a roto tom is a Remo Tablatone head. They are usually found on frame drums but they are fantastic on roto toms. If you decide to make a vari pitch set, skip making the snare drum and just buy a Firchie snare if you can find one. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, back to when Hippies Walked the Earth...

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always thought of the late 70s as the days of Rockers not hippies . I hated it when someone called me a hippie in 77 . I definitely was not a hippie . But had long hair .
I equated hippies with corny Woodstock type music . Not classic rock ; which was in full swing.

Furious Styles

Reaction score
Yes he did, and that's what I think of when anyone brings up vari-pitch drums. I took lessons from Jack too, from 76 - 80.
He was ahead of his time. He's responsible for getting me to play open-handed. Too bad I was a terrible student lol.

Can't remember if his kit had the matching snare.

mpungercar

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He was ahead of his time. He's responsible for getting me to play open-handed. Too bad I was a terrible student lol.

Can't remember if his kit had the matching snare.
Yea, I wasn't a great student either. I certainly could have worked much harder than I did. Interestingly enough, I spoke to Jack several times before his passing, and his recollection was very different from mine. In fact he was very complimentary. My take is, he was being nice, or I wasn't one of his worst students. :)

No, I don't believe his kit didn't have the matching snare. As low as he sat behind the kit, there would be no way he could have made one of those snares work without setting directly on the floor!

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve always thought of the late 70s as the days of Rockers not hippies . I hated it when someone called me a hippie in 77 . I definitely was not a hippie . But had long hair .
I equated hippies with corny Woodstock type music . Not classic rock ; which was in full swing.
Yeah, This is some real cornball stuff here. (I get the gist of what you are you are saying-Don't agree with it but I get it.)

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, This is some real cornball stuff here. (I get the gist of what you are you are saying-Don't agree with it but I get it.)
Ok , I’m not counting all the Woodstock music acts ...I knew someone was going to bring up Santana or Hendrix or CCR ..

But yeah , in general all the more “ folksy” type music ...

lamartee

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok , I’m not counting all the Woodstock music acts ...I knew someone was going to bring up Santana or Hendrix or CCR ..

But yeah , in general all the more “ folksy” type music ...
Try again :D

Furious Styles

Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better myself.

My transcendent musical moment was smoking some rope and hearing the opening to 2112 for the first time, not Terrapin Station.