VDrum kit to cover every Superior Drummer 3 articulations

Maurizio

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to buy a VDrum but I'm not sure that it will cover every superior drummer 3 feature. I've seen TD17 (KL, KV, KVX) and alesis strike pro. I would prefer to stay with roland, so I want to ask you if you know how to check if every articulation is covered by a vdrum.
I can't find any reference table or anything else to do that.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What features specifically are you worried about?

I don't use superior but use Kontakt/Abbey Rd usually. I had to modify the pad mappings a bit since I have added pads. But the stock map for Roland pretty much works OK.

Things like latency have more to do with your interface than whether you use Roland or other drums.

Maurizio

Reaction score
Thank you, I mean things like multi zone samples, I don't want to buy a software and a v drum without being sure that every feature will be used.

Maurizio

Reaction score
I already wrote on roland forum and toontrack too, but noone answred my question :D

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What specifically are you trying to do? Roland pretty much does what the others all do as far as midi's concerned.

The roland will output mid note on/off and the velocity. There is some kind of internal usage of the cross talk of the 2 piezos (head and rim) to approximate playing around the head like a real drum, and it works fine. But I don't believe that is part of the midi stream. I don't know anything about the new digital pads in the td50 except they don't seem that appealing to me for the price.

if you are asking about multiple samples per velocity zones, like you have 10 samples on a snare and it switches between them based on how hard you hit, that works fine because the that's done by the VST. Same with if you blend samples between note zones, which other than for toms is kind of odd.

Howstamychi

Reaction score
TD-50 hands down. The best SD3 trigger, maybe the only one worth getting as it supports the 3 zone snare and rimshot articulations and bow tip articulations. Use it in Vendor mode and select TD-50 as your audio input interface. It does a great job with positional sensing and the multizone ride as well. Nothing else comes close.

Shedboyxx

Reaction score
TD-50 is the very best in many ways (except price) but the TD-25 will probably do the job. It has positional sensing built in the TD-25 module and whatever snare pad comes standard with the kit. Also uses CC04 MIDI information from the hi hat controller which allows you to set the different open/close amounts Superior Drummer gives. I've heard that there may be hot spots on the snare pad but I don't have any experience with that. Also don't know if the cymbals response would be as robust but still not bad and much more realistic triggering than a TD-17*

*If I were buying an electronic kit without the intention of triggering a drum virtual instrument, the TD-17KVX would probably be my first choice. Great value.

Latest posts