Ventures

teenagebrain

Reaction score
iN 1979 i mad emy folks take us(brother and I) to see The Ventures,Jan and Dean,plus The Beach Boys at Disneyland !!! One of my best young memories and days!!!

Reaction score
I saw two shows by them in 1964. They were great. A huge influence on all the bands my age.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I love the Ventures. Over the last 20 years or so, I have done a record a year with Nokie Edwards, the lead guitarist of the Ventures. He's STILL GOING! Most of his recordings are for Japanese release only. They love him over there.
I loved Mel Taylor, as a kid. I found out that a guy named Skip Moore played on the original "Walk Don't Run", but left the group early on and was replaced by Howie Johnson, until they hired Mel in 1962. Nokie started as the bass player, but since he was the best guitar player of the group, soon was playing lead guitar.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Reaction score
[quote name='Kevin O'Connor' timestamp='1332291205' post='710570']
West Virginian Steve Moore, the mad drummer embellishes the tune here:

[/quote]
absolutley great !

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Love that basic setup for Mel: Gretsch 20-12-14 and snare. A Zildjian 22" crash/ride (a beautiful example) and Zildjian hats. And that's it.
With any good brand of drums, what more does any drummer really need?

A few years ago I had read about Mel being the third drummer for the Ventures. But, in my mind, he has always been the THE drummer in the band. If I had ever seen either of the two earlier drummers performing on television, I honestly can't remember. I just think of Mel a being as integral to that band as Ringo or Charlie have been to their respective bands.

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
In TEENAGEBRAIN'S picture, (above,) that is Howie Johnson on drums, not Mel. And Nokie is holding the bass. (Became the lead guitarist soon after joining the band.)

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
A few years ago I had read about Mel being the third drummer for the Ventures. But, in my mind, he has always been the THE drummer in the band. If I had ever seen either of the two earlier drummers performing on television, I honestly can't remember. I just think of Mel a being as integral to that band as Ringo or Charlie have been to their respective bands.
Lead guitarist Jerry McGee, once quipped about Mel as playing "lead drums." :icon_smile:

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
Skip Moore just played on the early recordings, as I understand. The original "Walk Don't Run." Howie Johnson then played in the band and on the records through most of 62, and that's when Mel joined the band.

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this Max Weinberg playing Wipeout with the Ventures?

&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:

BigMur

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the Ventures. Over the last 20 years or so, I have done a record a year with Nokie Edwards, the lead guitarist of the Ventures. He's STILL GOING! Most of his recordings are for Japanese release only. They love him over there.
I loved Mel Taylor, as a kid. I found out that a guy named Skip Moore played on the original "Walk Don't Run", but left the group early on and was replaced by Howie Johnson, until they hired Mel in 1962. Nokie started as the bass player, but since he was the best guitar player of the group, soon was playing lead guitar.
Cool Trivia from The Ventures website: The drummer on Walk, Don't Run was Skip Moore, not Howie Johnson as many assume. Skip was given the choice of $25 or 1/4 of the money the record would make for playing on the session. He took the 25 bucks! Another early drummer, George Babbitt, retired as a 4-star Air Force general.mmer on Walk, Don't Run was Skip Moore, not Howie Johnson as many assume. Skip was given the choice of $25 or 1/4 of the money the record Lots of interesting stuff on their site. http://www.theventures.com/index.php

Latest posts