Vernell Fournier, Poinciana

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Been posted before. Just a reminder about one of the greatest drummers of all time.

All kinds of drummers have come up with new variations on this beat, but you can't improve on the original. It's an exercise in focus and control to play this thing the way Vernell played it, leaving out that fourth upbeat on the hi hat.

An older friend of mine saw the trio when he was a kid, and he said Vernell used a mallet in his right hand and a stick in his left.

:occasion5:

Last edited by a moderator:

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Keep an eye out for Bill Cunliffe's trio when they tour; Harvey Mason has a really slick and elegant approach to this.

Funktosterone

Reaction score
One of my all time favorite grooves. Vernel makes it sound so deceptively easy, but capturing the groove and dynamics of his playing on this track literally took me years to accomplish.

I remember playing this tune with a piano trio in a local, popular lounge room years ago. The room was packed - literally standing room only. Two VERY attractive ladies "of the evening" positioned themselves right in front of my kit (almost on my kit at times). I was laying down that Vernel groove and they were bouncing and grooving with it throughout the entire song. At the end of the song they turned and complimented me and the band. Truth is, they were both "working the room", likely including the band, but looking back, doesn't matter. It was great. :)

Way Out Wardell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I live a couple of blocks from where this was recorded and it plays in my head almost every time I go past (it was a huge hotel but is an empty lot now). I think there needs to be some sort of marker pointing out the significance (Bird & Diz played there, as did June Christy, Sun Ra, Gene Ammons, and on and on) - it had a ballroom, a big cafe and a basement lounge, and it's in the lounge that the trio was playing that week in '58. Malcolm Chisholm set up his recording equipment in the storage room behind the stand.
It's hard to imagine that the Pershing was just one of dozens of music clubs (mostly jazz, blues and early rock n roll) within a half-mile radius that lasted from the '30s until the early '70s. While going over old newspaper ads to look at the nightlife happenings then, I came across one night in '57 when Miles Davis was playing at a club around the corner from the Pershing, Candido was playing across the street, and three blocks east another club had Chuck Berry. On the same night.
There is almost none of it left.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Way Out Wardell said:
I live a couple of blocks from where this was recorded and it plays in my head almost every time I go past (it was a huge hotel but is an empty lot now). I think there needs to be some sort of marker pointing out the significance (Bird & Diz played there, as did June Christy, Sun Ra, Gene Ammons, and on and on) - it had a ballroom, a big cafe and a basement lounge, and it's in the lounge that the trio was playing that week in '58. Malcolm Chisholm set up his recording equipment in the storage room behind the stand.
It's hard to imagine that the Pershing was just one of dozens of music clubs (mostly jazz, blues and early rock n roll) within a half-mile radius that lasted from the '30s until the early '70s. While going over old newspaper ads to look at the nightlife happenings then, I came across one night in '57 when Miles Davis was playing at a club around the corner from the Pershing, Candido was playing across the street, and three blocks east another club had Chuck Berry. On the same night.
There is almost none of it left.
It's a shame. Jazz was everywhere in those days.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Funktosterone said:
One of my all time favorite grooves. Vernel makes it sound so deceptively easy, but capturing the groove and dynamics of his playing on this track literally took me years to accomplish.

I remember playing this tune with a piano trio in a local, popular lounge room years ago. The room was packed - literally standing room only. Two VERY attractive ladies "of the evening" positioned themselves right in front of my kit (almost on my kit at times). I was laying down that Vernel groove and they were bouncing and grooving with it throughout the entire song. At the end of the song they turned and complimented me and the band. Truth is, they were both "working the room", likely including the band, but looking back, doesn't matter. It was great. :)
A good groove attracts chicks! :occasion5: