Versatile Ride

L300burn

Reaction score
I play everything from classic rock, bebop jazz, big band, and prog rock. Can you guys recommend a ride that would work in all styles.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd pick a 50's A in 20-22" medium weight. And a heavier Zildjian Ping ride or heavy ride in 20-22" would work as well.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I only know "me". And what I'd do. Everyone has to know/discover their own.
Pick : Diameter. Light/Medium/Heavy. Price/availability. Looks/ Sound. New/Used/ Near new/

You can do it.

Nice Choices Foxy___ (I own one of em.
(took me a year to learn it and learn to love it)

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That dark complex sounds great! A bit of a creativ choice for some styles though, that trashy sound.

Beyond Z:
Paiste 602 medium ride, 602 ME ride, Masters 21" medium ride...
Sabian Groove ride, Legacy Heavy...

Actually, the only real question is: does it have the dynamic response that makes it versatile: can it be quiet enough? Does it still have a defined stick at higher volume?
There are so many choices these days, and it seems that stylistically, everything goes, it's really a matter of personal taste. So I guess you'd need to narrow it down somehow, or you get dozens of suggestions, all completely different from each other.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I play everything from classic rock, bebop jazz, big band, and prog rock. Can you guys recommend a ride that would work in all styles.
Right off the top of my head, 22" A Medium Ride.

...however, something slightly lighter would be a 22 Crescent by Sabian Stanton Moore Wide Ride.
Apparently it was designed to work over a wide range of musical styles, thus, WIDE ride...

Last edited:

L300burn

Reaction score
That dark complex sounds great! A bit of a creativ choice for some styles though, that trashy sound.

Beyond Z:
Paiste 602 medium ride, 602 ME ride, Masters 21" medium ride...
Sabian Groove ride, Legacy Heavy...

Actually, the only real question is: does it have the dynamic response that makes it versatile: can it be quiet enough? Does it still have a defined stick at higher volume?
There are so many choices these days, and it seems that stylistically, everything goes, it's really a matter of personal taste. So I guess you'd need to narrow it down somehow, or you get dozens of suggestions, all completely different from each other.
Sorry. To clarify I want a soft to medium dynamic range (p-f). I also like a good amount of wash like in the 20in k ride for example. But I also want a nice, sharp bell. Thanks for suggestions so far!

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Sorry. To clarify I want a soft to medium dynamic range (p-f). I also like a good amount of wash like in the 20in k ride for example. But I also want a nice, sharp bell. Thanks for suggestions so far!
Sounds like the 20” k ride is your answer lol. I like more trash but that’s me.

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Not only that.. Trash you can activate. Or not. Can play "it down the middle" or activate with side stickage all kind of mayhem. Or not.

That's what takes a long time to learn with some new cymbals. Does it have a Main Street. Yes. But does it also have a 'bunch of' side streets. Yes, to that too.

The problem when you first get a cymbal like that and may lead you to 'giving up' early; It seems it's all 'side streets'. but... You learn to steer it down Main Street and how to take it off the main street..and bring it back..... Over Time..

That's the lesson of K
Has been since they were built in Turkey.
Today's those K attributes (K Cons DarkMediums) are really attenuated and really have to take time with the cymbal..Like a Year to learn fully. easily.

Last edited:

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Not only that.. Trash you can activate. Or not. Can play "it down the middle" or activate with side stickage all kind of mayhem. Or not.

That's what takes a long time to learn with some new cymbals. Does it have a Main Street. Yes. But does it also have a 'bunch of' side streets. Yes, to that too.

The problem when you first get a cymbal like that and may lead you to 'giving up' early; It seems it's all 'side streets'. but... You learn to steer it down Main Street and how to take it off the main street..and bring it back..... Over Time..

That's the lesson of K
Has been since they were built in Turkey.
Today's those K attributes (K Cons DarkMediums) are really attenuated and really have to take time with the cymbal..Like a Year to learn fully. easily.
Yes exactly, complexity provides options, like an electric guitar that distorts when the signal is pushed harder/overdriven.

Reactions: JDA

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd think that a Zildjian K Sweet Ride would be most likely to deliver what you're looking for.

Another candidate: the Zildjian "Avedis" 22" ride.

GeeDeeEmm

cdrummer

Reaction score
The Italian Toscos from the 80s/90s are fantastic (hand hammered UFIP) and you can find them for around $150 used on eBay. If you want a super-versatile ride that can do it all, that would be my go-to.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yes exactly, complexity provides options, like an electric guitar that distorts when the signal is pushed harder/overdriven.
Yes you needn't use/activate it but that takes learning how to play/control the cymbal. Control.
And it's not a matter of force; it's a simple twist of the wrist that will activate a lightning strike. Force is something else. You can play the cymbal "down main street" with Force. Activating 'trash' involves angle attacks and small twists of the wrist....not force. thxs foxy

Last edited:

drummingbulldog

Reaction score
AAX Raw Bell Dry ride is pretty versatile. A good Ping Ride. K Custom Medium ride. HH Raw Bell Dry ride is also good. I own all of these and have done tons of studio work. I'm also very fond of the AAX Dry ride as well. These are all medium to heavy. I have an old HH Crystal flat ride with rivets and a Deril but those are darker. Your touch & stick preference is likely to determine your favorite. Try lots of rides.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 22" Sabian Legacy ride I have for sale can probably cover all those styles

Im not just saying that to make a sale.

Im being honest..and it one of the reasons I love my scdr.

Depending on your touch and what sticks you use and adding rivet holes...the legacy can cover a lot of ground

A lot of the suggestions being made in this thread would not we work for a bebop/jazz gig..imo

L300burn

Reaction score
The 22" Sabian Legacy ride I have for sale can probably cover all those styles

Im not just saying that to make a sale.

Im being honest..and it one of the reasons I love my scdr.

Depending on your touch and what sticks you use and adding rivet holes...the legacy can cover a lot of ground

A lot of the suggestions being made in this thread would not we work for a bebop/jazz gig..imo
Yeah I don't think the A/AAX rides would work with bebop. Jazz rides work better for Rock than Rock Rides for Jazz in my opinion.

Latest posts