Versatile Ride

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I have a 21” Sabian Groove Ride that works very well in all the groups I’ve used it in.

Reaction score
I've got cymbals that are ideal for certain situations, and I've got a full set of Avedis cymbals (14", 18", 19", 21") that work for me in just about any context. The 21" is a beautiful and complex instrument, with a woody and articulate stick sound, a separate but present wash and a very defined and playable bell. It crashes well, and unlike other great cymbals I own with a narrow sweet spot, this cymbal has multiple sweet spots defined by the lathing and gorgeous patina.

There's also something magical about the 21" size.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've got cymbals that are ideal for certain situations, and I've got a full set of Avedis cymbals (14", 18", 19", 21") that work for me in just about any context. The 21" is a beautiful and complex instrument, with a woody and articulate stick sound, a separate but present wash and a very defined and playable bell. It crashes well, and unlike other great cymbals I own with a narrow sweet spot, this cymbal has multiple sweet spots defined by the lathing and gorgeous patina.

There's also something magical about the 21" size.

You're talking A Avedis Series, correct?

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A ride I could see doing everything is my 21” Legacy Heavy ride (there’s a few custom 21” models around). Great bell, warm clear stick, big crash. Jazz to rock to funk and blues and this thing would hang no problem. I love the 22” models as well, just prefer 21” rides for my setup at home for ergonomics.

Browny

Reaction score
Med-thin 22" A or K. Could go a bit heavier if you want more 'ride' and less crashability, or vice versa, but I'd err on the side of thinner if possible. Can always work up towards the bell (not necessarily hitting it) for more definition/ping/stick, or use some tape to control it, change stick type, change the way you're gripping the stick and playing 'into' the cymbal.... but you can't add that wash/crash/etc to a thicker cymbal that doesn't have it to begin with.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
A 20” Paiste 602 Medium ride can cover all my gigs from acoustic trips to amplified Rock gigs . It is incredibly versatile and is one of the best crashable rides made .