Very ignorant mic set up question

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a real stupid question, but I have little experience with live micing (other than sound guys doing it). I have mics for my snare, toms and bd that typically all run into whatever PA/mixer stuff is around. My question: is there a small device/mixer/box that I can plug this stuff into and set up my mix for in-ears then have only one output to go to the main PA?

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a real stupid question, but I have little experience with live micing (other than sound guys doing it). I have mics for my snare, toms and bd that typically all run into whatever PA/mixer stuff is around. My question: is there a small device/mixer/box that I can plug this stuff into and set up my mix for in-ears then have only one output to go to the main PA?
Tis not a stupid question at all. At my church gig I have a personal monitor mix wirelessly on my iPad mini using IEMs. Awesome setup. With my regular band it all depends on the capabilities of the sound system in the venue in which we are playing. Now do bear in mind, I do have multiple outputs going FOH but the monitor mix itself is my baby and I LOVE it.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For what you're trying to do (one or two submixed outputs of drums to front of house), you can just use any separate small mixer to achieve this. If you want to give FOH full control of drums, but also have control of your in-ears separately, you'll need to get a dedicated monitor mixer, which either uses splits (you get the mic signals sent to the monitor mixer, then they're sent via a parallel split to the front of house mixer), or a distribution mixer (mics to front of house, the FOH mixer sends channel outputs to a distribution mixer, which then sends those signals to your personal monitor mixer -- usually via something like a cat5 cable).

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
Maybe not exactly what you’re looking for, but I use a simple headphone amp like the Presonus HP4 or the AKG HP4E to split my computer audio out into various different sends. The AKG one has more options, like multiple inputs and line selects, and each channel is independent of the others. The Presonus I think has a universal mute option.
In any case, you can probably send the audio from your mixer into the headphone amp, and the route all the audio out to whatever you want, so, one line to your in ears, and one out to the front of house. The volumes on each are completely independent and controllable.