Very interesting 1936-1937 Radio King snare drum

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This drum just sold on my regional CL. I didn't see it until 3 hrs after it listed yesterday afternoon. Got a message back late today saying "it sold." Asking price was $600. Seller called it a "1941" because the original owner told them that's when they bought it. Well, you can believe the owner's memory or look at what the drum tells you. There are essentially only early (1930's) RK features on this drum.....most look to be features that were gone after 1937. Beautifully hand engraved top hoop. The throw off adjuster knob with the diamond knurling. Tone control with square red felt. 2 screw snare brackets. Threaded streamline lugs. The badge was probably only used from 1928-1936.....1st cloud badge. And this is the very 1st early RK I've run across with other than the 2nd cloud badge. So proof that this "unicorn" exists. It also adds weight to the fact that every Broadcaster should have the 1st cloud badge as well. And out of about a dozen or more BC's I've run across, all have had 1st cloud badges.

A very significant, early production run Radio King with all the key parts. Very clean too except for a probable repaint in black lacquer. Pretty scarce as such. And imo was worth above the $600 asking price.
It has all the features of a Broadcaster except for the hoop engraving and tone control.

zzzzzzzzzzzzz2.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzz3.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzz4.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzz1.jpg

Last edited:

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
That is a good one! It has adjustable butts from side to side on each side of the drum. I had a set up on one once that was a 7” with small beaver tails.
You have a helluva drum there.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark Cooper's article on Slingerland history (easily Googled) addresses the details of these drums and when the parts changed. The adjustable snare brackets went away by around 1938/39. Those snare gates are screwed on.
And on the inside wall you can find codes. Later ones are riveted on.

Last edited:

jmetatual

Reaction score
Mark Cooper's article on Slingerland history (easily Googled) addresses the details of these drums and when the parts changed. The adjustable snare brackets went away by around 1938/39.
FYI, Coopers site actually mentions the timeline for the adjustable snare brackets twice. One says they were 'discontinued after WWII' and the other says they were 'gradually discontinued after 1941'. Slingerland historian Dr. CJ Wenk's timeframe is similar, he states the adjustable brackets were gone by 1944.

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That era of Radio King is on my bucket list. What a beautiful instrument! Too bad you couldn't get it in time.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(email the seller (if you can. ask him to forward a message from you to the new owner (your email, maybe something else phone number some contact info, etc) with a message "If you ever get tired of the drum I'd be interested" ) something along those lines..) (lol (he may tire of it have some issue

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(email the seller (if you can. ask him to forward a message from you to the new owner (your email, maybe something else phone number some contact info, etc) with a message "If you ever get tired of the drum I'd be interested" ) something along those lines..) (lol (he may tire of it have some issue
Thanks. I tried that going through another one of their items for sale. We'll see if that works. They appear to be a music and collectibles re-saler doing volume selling and as little communication as possible.

The adjustable brackets with the 2 mounting holes per side were gone after about '37/38. In looking at a lot of these you don't see adjustable brackets very often after about 1940/41.

Reactions: JDA

10 Lug

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a drum that has all the same characteristics as the one you are showing. I believe it to be a 1938 as it has the green single muffler. The strainer handle is not original and I believe there is a tiny snare adjustment screw missing. The drum appears to be all original and I believe has been painted in black lacquer as well. Cloud badge, engraved rim. If you are interested I will send you some photos. I would sell it for $500.