Very nice Slingerland 1964 champagne sparkle 13,14,20 kit parted out - Ebay

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Surprised this really nice original kit was offered in pieces (not as a kit) by this drum shop that does a lot in vintage drums. Are Slingerlands "that unloved" that you immediately part them out? I watch the Northeast ads from CL, FB and this hasn't been listed. In this instance, the kit was probably worth the sum of the parts. As expected, the 14" floor tom sold right away, leaving the 13x9 and 20x14 behind as orphans. What a shame to break this one up....especially in such a cool finish....and all shells ink stamped Oct 64. These don't come up often in this condition/sizes/unmolested. I think if given more than a day someone might have stepped up for the kit. What a shame for the hobby.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Slingerland-1964-14x20-Bass-Drum-Champagne-Sparkle-Original-CLEAN/274373930847?hash=item3fe1f5ef5f:g:gEUAAOSwTjZeyDk7:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!06333!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Slingerland-1964-9x13-Tom-Drum-Champagne-Sparkle-Original-CLEAN/274373818231?hash=item3fe1f43777:g:7TUAAOSwAb1eyBTb:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!06333!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Slingerland-1964-14x14-Floor-Tom-Drum-Champagne-Sparkle-Original-CLEAN-/383557782319?hash=item594dd34b2f:g:dMgAAOSwTsNeyA97&nma=true&si=9C5jSvkbif4Cq%2F5N6tjglN9H%2Ba4%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

slingerland cs floor tom.jpg

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
point taken is a shame but understandable it go this way, because 13-14-20 is not a suitable set of sizes/sequence as 12-14-20 or 13-16-20.
I can see why somebody would want the 13 and 20, or 14 and 20, or just one of, but not all three.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
He also has a 10x15 for a decent price. I want that 14 but the price is a bit much for me.

edit: it wasn’t too much for someone!

edit again: I went for the 10x15. I know it's an unpopular oddball size, but it will look good with my 16" champagne bass drum.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have that same 14x14 champagne sparkle FT in my jazz kit. Guess it's worth more than I thought. Not an easy drum to find totally problem free. That's the first one I've run across in nearly a year. If you're looking it matters little whether it's $350 or $500....just get it and be done with the search. The 15" was cool but was a late 69/70 drum not closely matching the others. I think the seller could have at least "tried" selling the kit intact for 1-3 weeks. And if no one stepped up....then do what you have to do to churn your inventory. This shop sells a lot of vintage drum kits....usually intact too...a lot of vintage Ludwig and Rogers. So I don't know why this one was singled out to be parted. Maybe they just don't have much demand for Slingerland. I can assure you that demand is out there. A week or so on FB's "Slingerland sets and snares" would have given them an answer.

Didn't really see the 13,14,20 as that "unpopular" a choice. In fact, since so few did it - they're very scarce like that. 13x9 vs 14x14 is plenty of tonal difference. The 8x12 is very close to the 13x9. I have several 12,13 double tom kits and always have a problem separating their tones far enough. In the same vein, you run across factory 12,16,20 kits as well. I don't consider them "lesser" kits. Slight size variations to me are secondary AFTER originality, condition, finish, rarity, close serial numbers/date stamping, and even ownership/provenance.

Last edited:

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have that same 14x14 champagne sparkle. Guess it's worth more than I thought. Not an easy drum to find totally problem free. That's the first one I've run across in nearly a year. If you're looking it matters little whether it's $350 or $500....just get it and be done with the search. The 15" was cool but was a late 69/70 drum not matching the others. I think the seller could have at least "tried" selling the kit intact for 1-3 weeks. And if no one stepped up....then do what you have to do to churn your inventory. This shop sells a lot of vintage drum kits....usually intact too...a lot of Ludwig and Rogers. So I don't know why this one was singled out to be parted. Maybe they just don't have much demand for Slingerland. I can assure you that it's out there. A week or so on FB's "Slingerland sets and snares" would have given them an answer.

Didn't really see the 13,14,20 as that "unpopular" a choice. In fact, since so few did it - they're very scarce like that. 13x9 vs 14x14 is plenty of tonal difference. The 8x12 at 96 sq in is pretty close. I have several 12,13 double tom kits and always have a problem separating their tones far enough.
With the value of 14*14 floor toms compared to other vintage drums (especially Slingerland 13s and 20s) if this seller hadn't parted them out, whoever bought them probably would have

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With the value of 14*14 floor toms compared to other vintage drums (especially Slingerland 13s and 20s) if this seller hadn't parted them out, whoever bought them probably would have
Not everyone is buying kits to part out.....and certainly not mint original kits. I've bought a dozen kits the past 2 years......only one parted out....a power tom, luan shelled kit what was unsaleable except for singles.

If the 14x14 is the key drum brings the lion's share of the kit's value, then you're getting the other 2 drums for peanuts. So just buy all 3 and enjoy the kit. I see Lee County Music doing stuff like this all the time. I wouldn't expect it from vintage drums shops. And with those 2 orphan drums, they now get LESS for them than if they were attached to a dated/matching floor tom kit....and likely it will take a lot longer to sell them as such. Someone out there would have paid the premium for a complete kit like that one. I normally figure those drums at $400-$450, $200-$350, $150-$200. I've never parted out a matching vintage USA kit out. I accept that I will net 10-20% less. That's paying my dues to the hobby. Just sold a pair of matching 70's Slingerland WMP/BDP kits intact....3 floor toms included in those kits...knowing I'd get less for doing so.

Last edited:

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn't really see the 13,14,20 as that "unpopular" a choice. I
the 10x15 was being referred to as 'unpopular' ....not 13-14-20.
At the end of the day drum sizes are as individual as the drummer. 10-16-24 seems odd to me but it no doubt works for somebody out there.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
point taken is a shame but understandable it go this way, because 13-14-20 is not a suitable set of sizes/sequence as 12-14-20 or 13-16-20.
The original quote was "unsuitable" rather than my interpretation of "unpopular." My bad. Either way, less demand and lower price implied.

The above quote stated the 13-14-20 was "unsuitable" vs other sequences. I beg to differ....it would suit me just fine. The 15x10 was made 5 yrs after this main 3 pc kit and has no bearing on the discussion. That 15 tom is fine to be sold separately since few would want a 13,15,14,20 sequence for a vintage kit...at least not at a premium price. I find nothing "odd" at all about 13,14,20....all standard popular sizes. You can mix and match 12/13, 14/16, and 20/22. I consider them all standard and popular....none unsuitable. Now if you start sticking in 18/24/26 bass drums some of the sizes might be unsuitable to most.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have that same 14x14 champagne sparkle FT in my jazz kit. Guess it's worth more than I thought. Not an easy drum to find totally problem free. That's the first one I've run across in nearly a year. If you're looking it matters little whether it's $350 or $500....just get it and be done with the search. The 15" was cool but was a late 69/70 drum not closely matching the others. I think the seller could have at least "tried" selling the kit intact for 1-3 weeks. And if no one stepped up....then do what you have to do to churn your inventory. This shop sells a lot of vintage drum kits....usually intact too...a lot of vintage Ludwig and Rogers. So I don't know why this one was singled out to be parted. Maybe they just don't have much demand for Slingerland. I can assure you that demand is out there. A week or so on FB's "Slingerland sets and snares" would have given them an answer.

Didn't really see the 13,14,20 as that "unpopular" a choice. In fact, since so few did it - they're very scarce like that. 13x9 vs 14x14 is plenty of tonal difference. The 8x12 is very close to the 13x9. I have several 12,13 double tom kits and always have a problem separating their tones far enough. In the same vein, you run across factory 12,16,20 kits as well. I don't consider them "lesser" kits. Slight size variations to me are secondary AFTER originality, condition, finish, rarity, close serial numbers/date stamping, and even ownership/provenance.
Right, and here's other reasons why I think it was not good to part this kit out: All of the drums have matching months and appear to be very much in the same excellent condition. Let's say the same drums were determined to be an original, bought together set, BUT: condition was rough, maybe some extra holes, the "always-welcome" 70's Pearl mounts had been installed, irregular fading among the drums, and the month dates were all different, well, then I'd say "Break it up, and go in peace." I'd be ok with that.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I once owned an original Slingerland Stage Band 13/14/20. Great set however the tom rode physically higher than I prefer. It sold relatively quick once I decided to let it go.