VERY RARE ONE-OF-KIND (times 2) LUDWIG SUPRAPHONIC SNARE DRUM!

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ok, it could be a real long story but I'll make it briefer...
My buddy Larry Archer just retired, and for a few years now has been working with a few of us here in Santa Cruz, California by working on our drums [refinishes, rebuilds, repairs, etc.]. He has woodworking skills from when he was young. Well, recently he decided he wanted to MAKE drums from scratch. He has begun by making Stave drums in his garage shop. I own an 18-piece Redwood 5.5x14 and a 30-piece Curly Maple 5.5x14. They sound great.

Well, one day he decided to make a Birch 5.5x14 Supraphonic Stave drum. He completed it, and I got excited enough to ask him to make me one. He decided to make it out of Black Maple, also 5.5x14. I even requested an internal muffler on it. He took the parts off the Birch one and sold it to me complete and ready to play. And since I was interested, he also sold me the original prototype Birch shell, which I added all of the parts to. Both drums have reinforcing rings. The Black Maple sounds more like a metal shell, and the Birch sounds more like a wood shell, which of course it is!

He said he's not making any more of them. So I am the proud owner of the ONLY wood Supraphonic snare drums that exist...!!!
Stretch
badge side.jpg
badge side.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
HOW INCREDIBLE COOL!!!! Congrats on two VERY unique additions to the family! I think of all the custom built drums I have seen, I do not recall ever seeing a wood shell Supraphonic!

Drm1979

Reaction score
I think that's the coolest rare drum I've ever seen. Congrats on those.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Ok, it could be a real long story but I'll make it briefer...
My buddy Larry Archer just retired, and for a few years now has been working with a few of us here in Santa Cruz, California by working on our drums [refinishes, rebuilds, repairs, etc.]. He has woodworking skills from when he was young. Well, recently he decided he wanted to MAKE drums from scratch. He has begun by making Stave drums in his garage shop. I own an 18-piece Redwood 5.5x14 and a 30-piece Curly Maple 5.5x14. They sound great.

Well, one day he decided to make a Birch 5.5x14 Supraphonic Stave drum. He completed it, and I got excited enough to ask him to make me one. He decided to make it out of Walnut, also 5.5x14. I even requested an internal muffler on it. He took the parts off the Birch one and sold it to me complete and ready to play. And since I was interested, he also sold me the original prototype Birch shell, which I added all of the parts to. Both drums have reinforcing rings. The Walnut sounds more like a metal shell, and the Birch sounds more like a wood shell, which of course it is!

He said he's not making any more of them. So I am the proud owner of the ONLY wood Supraphonic snare drums that exist...!!!
Stretch View attachment 444750 View attachment 444755
DAYUM! Those are beautiful drums! Birch has the best grain pattern, I think!

J-dubya

Reaction score
Those are absolutely amazing!
Congrats on owning such a rare gem. If that's not an heirloom instrument, I don't know what is.
I would love to hear one (or both) of them.

hsosdrum

Reaction score
Absolutely stunning, especially the walnut! Like everyone else, I'd love to hear them.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very, very cool. They look absolutely awesome. Just as a friendly bit of overly cautious advice, I doubt that anyone at Ludwig would be very excited about them...

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Those are beautiful Stretch.
Congrats on your acquisitions. :thumbup:

Latest posts