Very thin sticks cause me physical stress

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
May also be worth trying a pair Vic Firth AJ 1 (American Jazz 1).

'A 5B shaft that feels full-sized yet plays “lightning fast”.'
I have one pair of those. Went for a slightly denser pair for a high pitch. Longer taper seems to have two effects: more definition from crashy/washy cymbals and slightly back-heavy, thus more manageable at low volume, but they're hickory, so a bit more weight on average than the SD or heritage series.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Disagree , this is way more complicated than some old wise saying .
Our fathers weren’t always right .
Fair enough. I can totally appreciate the physical difficulties in holding smaller sticks.

I guess my point is, and others have agreed, not to count on the size of the stick to determine your dynamics. It’s in your hands.

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a pair of Pro Mark (I think) synthetic brushes where the brushes were much shorter, and had a wood stick, so you could still do rim click. I can't seem to find them on any sites anymore.

nolibos

Reaction score
Practice playing guietly with your regular sticks. I use Vic Firth SD2 Boleros for all volumes.

tkillian

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some gigs (small moose lodges with grey haired audiences) that I have to play at a very low volume. I use rods, but for songs that require a rim click (we do a lot of county and slow stuff) I have been using this skinny pair of Pro Marks; I think 7As, but they're thinner than Vic Firth 7A. So Saturday night By the end of the second set, my right hand is hurting as if I hadn't played in a while, though I was in shape. Also my back started hurting and I use a back rest and comfortable throne. I was feeling very uncomfortable playing.
I usually use Regal 5As.
In the middle of the third set I switched to my normal Regal 5As. They felt like clubs after using the skinny sticks most of the night. But after a song or two, all the pain in my hands and back went away; it really upped my playing the last couple of sets and by the end of the night I could have played longer.
Maybe it was psychological, but it felt like using the thinner sticks was causing me stress. Think I'm going to stick with the thicker sticks, even in low volume situations.
Or put some wrap a few layers of electrical tape where you grip the stick all the way to the butt end

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
SD5 fat grip, low volume, wicked fast. Only real drawback for me is you also need to lighten up your cymbal weight for them

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
May also be worth trying a pair Vic Firth AJ 1 (American Jazz 1).

'A 5B shaft that feels full-sized yet plays “lightning fast”.'
I had a set of AJ 2's, which are the same but 5A based.
In my case, it was too light at the far end. Made the stick hard to control. Weird feel, too.
I tried to wok with it, but never totally got comfortable with it.
Also found out the extremely light tip makes cymbals sound colder than they normally would.
Of all the sticks I have, the AJ2's gave me the worst sound for any given cymbal.
.....but the grip was comfortable and I wasn't dropping them anymore, either.
These days, I prefer a Vater Matrix stick. Same general, long shoulder taper design, but better balanced.
Pro-Mark Select Hickory Rebound Balance .565's are pretty good, too. A bit of a heavy feel (Pro-Mark, what do you expect :rolleyes: ), but makes most cymbals sound the best.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I have some gigs (small moose lodges with grey haired audiences) that I have to play at a very low volume. I use rods, but for songs that require a rim click (we do a lot of county and slow stuff) I have been using this skinny pair of Pro Marks; I think 7As, but they're thinner than Vic Firth 7A. So Saturday night By the end of the second set, my right hand is hurting as if I hadn't played in a while, though I was in shape. Also my back started hurting and I use a back rest and comfortable throne. I was feeling very uncomfortable playing.
I usually use Regal 5As.
In the middle of the third set I switched to my normal Regal 5As. They felt like clubs after using the skinny sticks most of the night. But after a song or two, all the pain in my hands and back went away; it really upped my playing the last couple of sets and by the end of the night I could have played longer.
Maybe it was psychological, but it felt like using the thinner sticks was causing me stress. Think I'm going to stick with the thicker sticks, even in low volume situations.
Just remembered an old trick you might want to think about trying, with those low volume situations.
Buy any NYLON TIP stick you prefer, and pull the tip off.
Really quiets things down and you still have a stick that won't cause you any stress and pain.
...give it a shot, see what you think! =)

Elvis

Jay_M

Reaction score
When I started I used 7As or the Steve Jordan Firth sticks because they were thin and light and common sense told me I'd be able to play faster but that logic was the exact opposite. I don't hit hard, so I got some heavier Buddy Rich VF sticks (between 5A and 5B) to use for gigs and found that once I got the fulcrum together with the fatter diameter, I actually had a much easier time controlling the rebound and ended up way more relaxed. Rimshots felt more natural. I found I choked the stick with the thin ones and the tension combined with trying to hit harder from the loss of stick mass kind of threw off my technique and made me feel and play clumsily. I swear by the Buddy sticks now and even considered the 2A or the Gavin Harrison sticks that are super thick just to see if it gives me more of a good thing or it's just too much.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn’t play for a long time and when I came back to drumming I started with a set of VF SD4 combos per Dave King’s recommendation for Jazz music, he plays the same sticks for soft rock too. I played these for sometime and then I realized I tend to grip the stick firmly because it is light and thin, so my rebounds were affected by that. One day I found a pair of old VF 5As and started practicing on my pad and I immediately realized it is easier for me to play using 5As, physically and also from technical stand point, rebounds, doubles and all the rudiments I practice got better fluidity, I don’t know this is just what I experienced.

this is very interesting to watch, just searched on youtube.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I started I used 7As or the Steve Jordan Firth sticks because they were thin and light and common sense told me I'd be able to play faster but that logic was the exact opposite. I don't hit hard, so I got some heavier Buddy Rich VF sticks (between 5A and 5B) to use for gigs and found that once I got the fulcrum together with the fatter diameter, I actually had a much easier time controlling the rebound and ended up way more relaxed. Rimshots felt more natural. I found I choked the stick with the thin ones and the tension combined with trying to hit harder from the loss of stick mass kind of threw off my technique and made me feel and play clumsily. I swear by the Buddy sticks now and even considered the 2A or the Gavin Harrison sticks that are super thick just to see if it gives me more of a good thing or it's just too much.
I tried the VF Buddy Rich sticks, and they really seemed big to me, so I went back to 7As, Vater Manhattans. Maybe I should give the BR sticks another shot, because I really wanted to like them.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I usually use Regal 5As.
Pro Mark Lightning Rods make a nice rim click.

Jay_M

Reaction score
I tried the VF Buddy Rich sticks, and they really seemed big to me, so I went back to 7As, Vater Manhattans. Maybe I should give the BR sticks another shot, because I really wanted to like them.
They do have a lot of girth. But I have big hands also so they didn't feel as clumsy for me as the 7As. Another option is the Jack Dejohnette sticks - those may be more comfortable for you. They're similar to the Buddy's but not as thick and with a different tip. I use those when the Buddy sticks aren't available.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I had Cool Rods about 25 years ago. Rim click was pretty quiet, but its not like a regular stick, either.

robthedrummer

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of thin sticks. I need some weight in my hands. I also think they don't bring out the 'meat' of a snare's sound.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Erskine ‘Ride Stick’ has been my go to for 10 years or so. Nice girth, weight and feel with a nice bead on the cymbal. And I’ll often play the butt end in my left hand.