Vibrations through drum pedal to foot

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Does anyone faced a similar problem on bass drum. Ambassador on batter, tuned low or very high with a “maximum shell resonance” ratio tuning in mind. Tested on various pedals, heel up, heel down, beater buried, beater out of the head. Even with batter head muffled, there is so much vibration that it goes through pedal hoop clamp to the foot. This results in a “numb” foot feel after few minutes. Super annoying. This is not an issue in modern drums. Why: because more vibration is transferred to the floor via thicker hardware. What to do when you have thin vintage legs...
Does somebody figured out how to transfer more vibration to the floor from the bass shell?

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And by the way: I can solve vibrations out with different head, changing tuning and apply more muffling, but it’s not the key. I would like to keep the current tuning and muffling configuration which causes the vibration.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I noticed this with modern bass drums as well. Medium weight shell, heavy bd legs. If you tune them to resonate, they will vibrate. Sound=vibration. I've had springs come loose because of that. Maybe a really heavy drum such as Sonor Phonice only vibrates along the head-to-head axis.
I would say soundwise be happy that you have a resonant sound you like. Vibration transfer into the ground would mean loss of sound.
(You could add heavy mounted toms, cymbal arms on top to reduce it, or insert a sandbag/can).
Sorry to hear about your foot feeling numb though. Maybe try different footwear? Or could it be a technique issue?

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
(You could add heavy mounted toms, cymbal arms on top to reduce it, or insert a sandbag/can).
Sorry to hear about your foot feeling numb though. Maybe try different footwear? Or could it be a technique issue?
Good idea to add more metal or some insert into the drum. I though also to reverse the legs for bigger surface contact and remove their rubber isolation.

It’s not due to a a footwear or technique or drummers position.Tested.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
20210127_074844.jpg

Pedals with the arms rather than a solid base transfer far less of the vibration, especially the faster buzzy ones that mess with nerves.

pjmariner

Reaction score
Good idea to add more metal or some insert into the drum. I though also to reverse the legs for bigger surface contact and remove their rubber isolation.

It’s not due to a a footwear or technique or drummers position.Tested.
While the footwear your normally use might not have this issue on modern kits, there could be a footwear that has increased absorption. If you have not worn or felt a pair of adidas boost soled shoes, I highly recommend, for both drums and just general quality of life . lol

If you use vibration absorbing material, I would look for something to add under pedal and bass drum spurs. If you add more metal or an insert to drum shell to reduce vibration, you will reduce resonance, and deaden the sound of the drum which does not sound like what you want.

Last edited:

Carlos McSnurf

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Problem solved. Vibrations are still there but at acceptable level. For the record, if someone faces similar problem in the future:
1. Batter head ambassador coated swapped to ambassador coated with falam slam installed
2. Legs rotated from spike end to bare square end side (ludwig bass drum, disappearing arc spur type). No isolation or rubber ends installed.
3. Folded as thick as possible styrofoam layer sheet inserted between the hoop and a bass pedal clamp.

Bass drum has no muffling except two small loose towels not touching or barely touching the heads

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
been playing since 1970 never had or noticed it. Had different bass drums and pedals. only thing happens to me is a numb butt after about 3 hours on the stool