header.nohb.html

Vic Firth - Carter Beauford Sticks Old vs New

cap217

Reaction score
I used to use the old carter beauford vic firth with the yellow grip. The new ones seem thinner and heavier with no grip.

Im wondering why the old ones felt thicker but also hollow. There was less weight and more end loaded balance vs the new ones. Is it different wood? What stick would be like the old ones? Maybe with a little more weight.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
The yellow grip are only available at the dmb store. They basically only dropped the yellow dip ones so dmb could sell them exclusively, and also for a more expensive cost

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Also they're the same stick just without the grip. I much prefer the yellow gripped ones

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I dont think they are. I am holding them now and they are different sticks. Thickness, weight, feel.
That's weird. I've got a few of the non grip, as well as the yellow grip from dmb store, and quite a few pair straight from Carter's personal bag. They're the same minus the grip on mine on all of them.

cap217

Reaction score
My yellow ones are from maybe 2014 if that matters. They feel light and hollow. They sound a lot different than the new ones. Not as much attack.

cap217

Reaction score
Size is the same. Balance point is close enough. Weight is different. 2.0 oz on the older and 2.2 oz newer. Thats a big difference. And the sound... This quick video on the ride shows the difference I hear.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a wide range of weights within the same model of stick. There are some YouTube videos of the VF factory showing them sorting by weight, and you can see the range that is within tolerance.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Size is the same. Balance point is close enough. Weight is different. 2.0 oz on the older and 2.2 oz newer. Thats a big difference. And the sound... This quick video on the ride shows the difference I hear.

That sounds like a normal variation in wood density, which leads to the difference in sound, rather than an intentional change in the design. You can find that much variation within a brick of pretty much any brand and model of stick.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
why is that weird
just as a fireman wouldn't rush into a fire with just a t-shirt and jeans

cap217

Reaction score
After trying a pair of dipped sticks, the only way I’d ever use them again is with gloves. Started a blister within a couple minutes.

I wear gloves so thats why I like them. But I agree, without its blisters.

So where can I find a dipped/coated 5ab stick with the same profile and tip as the old carters? I dont need a signature model but I want something close. I went and tried every stick at GC. I bought the 10 that felt best. None are it. I did buy a promark tx5bw that is close but I need coated. Plus I found out that stick is discontinued.

The closets I found that I liked was the zildjian drummer from 21 pilots. But thats an extended stick and I dont love the tip.

I did try promark 5a rebound black coated but those are too thin.

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
why is that weird
just as a fireman wouldn't rush into a fire with just a t-shirt and jeans
Actually most our uniforms are cotton based, doesn’t burn as fast or stick to the skin like polyester would.
Most depts even allow shorts in the warm months.

While we are on sticks, did VF do away with Rod Morganstien sick? I can’t find them listed on the site?

Reactions: JDA