header.nohb.html

Vic Firth factory second sticks -

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
During my decades in St. Louis I would frequent the Fred Pierce Studio Drum Shop. He had 5 gallon buckets of Vic Firth factory second drum sticks. I would pull out all the Dave Weckl sticks and buy every one, assuming they were straight when I rolled them on the glass counter.

Later I weighed every stick and grouped them by weight. I have stick pairs from 30 grams to 60 grams with most in the low 50's. I have found the different weights in identical form to be useful.

I still have a good supply, but have broken enough that I wanted to start buying them again but cannot find them on the web. Rudy at Bennett's didn't seem to know what I was referring to. Are they still available?

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every few years at their 4th of July sale GC sells 10-pair bags of sticks with no markings on them for $9.99. A couple of years ago I was told that some of them were Vic Firth seconds and ended up buying a bag of 5Bs (they had 7As too). I still have mosts of them left. They aren't weight matched like the pairs which are usually sold, but they play just fine. No complaints here. It's hard to go back to buying a pair of sticks for $8.98 when I can get seconds for a dollar a pair. None were out-of-round. They didn't seem to have any in 2011, but I bought another bag during the 4th of July sale in 2012.

JOE COOL

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
try vic firth nova...i been using them for awhile...no problems, other then some in the brick might have cosmetic blemishes.

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemSearch--search-Vic-Firth-Drum-Sticks--srcin-1

Frank Godiva

DFO Master
Reaction score
These sticks are still some of the cheapest out there. Anyone tried em since 2013?

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would buy them at Guitar Center. I got a bunch of nylon tip 5A, AJ6 and MJ2. Most of them were straight, but had cosmetic issues. They sell them in bricks, and end up at about $3-4 a pair.

EssKayKay

Reaction score
These sticks are still some of the cheapest out there. Anyone tried em since 2013?

I’ve been buying nylon tipped Nova 5AN Maple sticks for the last couple years. They seem just fine to me but I’m not really that particular. I like the lighter weight maple and I am especially interested in nylon tips. Maybe I'm mistaken (which is very possible) but I was not aware VF made standard nylon tipped 5AN’s in maple. If this is true (and maybe I’m wrong), how can Nova sticks be a VF B-stock if there is no VF A-stock?

https://www.drumcenternh.com/vic-firth-nova-maple-5an-drum-sticks

Last edited:

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If this is true (and maybe I’m wrong), how can Nova sticks be a VF B-stock if there is no VF A-stock?

https://www.drumcenternh.com/vic-firth-nova-maple-5an-drum-sticks

I've wondered about this myself. Back in the '90s, VF offered a 5B with a nylon tip that had a short taper that made for a beefy neck. I loved the feel of these sticks and they were very durable when using the neck of the stick on hihats. Then all of a sudden, they changed the design of the "standard" 5B and the nylon tips started cracking or just falling off very easily, so I switched brands.

I found that the Nova 5B nylon is an exact copy of the sticks I loved so much but VF does not offer the same stick in their regular lines! I still have one original pair from back then that I compared to the Novas and the only thing different is the logo. I bought a brick of the Nova sticks and they feel great and I have had zero issues with breaking or losing tips. Still can't say the same about their regular offerings.