Vic Firth Sticks - painted versus lacquer

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Went to Guitar Center today to buy some more new sticks. The only X5A's they had in stock were in a "value pack" and were painted black instead of the usual natural lacquer finish. They felt the same, and one of the value packs had all four pair at my preferred weight (right around 50 grams). So I bought them. Saved about $10 over what it would normally cost for 4 pair.

So my question is... Anybody have experience with Vic Firth painted sticks versus lacquer? Any disadvantages?

mathale

Reaction score
Paint marks on the cymbals or drum heads. That’s kind of a drag.

mathale

Reaction score
The tips are not painted. Still an issue?
Perhaps, if you use the butt end (I use both ends). It's not a major concern if you are relaxed about that sort of stuff. If memory serves me correctly, you can rub the marks away.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the painted Vic Firth Buddy Rich Signature sticks. I've used them for almost 25 years. The paint adds a little more weight to them, and they also seem to have slightly more grip than a standard clearcoat.

The paint also seems to add to their longevity. They used to mark up the cymbals with white paint, but not so much anymore. I think they changed the paint some years ago.

KillinBill66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, they used to paint the entire stick, including the tip. But it's been years since they stopped painting the tip

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the Steve Gadd signature sticks . I have been searching for a replacement for my usual Regal Tip sticks

Rick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for all the comments. I was out and about in metro Atlanta today and decided to stop by Sam Ash to see if they had any "normal" X5A's. They had 7 pair, out of which I was able to find 2 that were on the lower end of the spectrum in terms of weight. So I bought those. I plan on returning the "Value Pack" I bought with the black (painted) sticks.