header.nohb.html

Vic Firth supply chain problems?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drum Factory Direct still has a lot of sizes in stock.
Local (produce) ;)
yesterday I came across an ebay auction and the seller was n' Stuff Pittsburgh
Figured out it was the old Piano's n' Stuff (Blawnox)? They got rid of the "piano' part
So there's (also) Hollywood Music (And Hawthornes is above that) Correct 59?

Last edited:

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Crap. I placed an order with Sweetwater for 2 Remo heads and 3 pairs of VF 8D-N. I received the heads but the sticks were on backorder. The order was placed April 19. I don't think I'm getting the sticks.

So who makes something similar to the VF 8D-N?

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local (produce) ;)
yesterday I came across an ebay auction and the seller was n' Stuff Pittsburgh
Figured out it was the old Piano's n' Stuff (Blawnox)? They got rid of the "piano' part
So there's (also) Hollywood Music (And Hawthornes is above that) Correct 59?

Yes, Pianos N' Stuff dropped "Pianos" from their name eight or nine years ago.

Hawthornes is above Hollowood Music, where Johnny B Goods' used shop was years ago.

N' Stuff has decent stock, but not much floor space. They don't have room to set much up.

Hawthorne's is mainly a vintage shop, Chris is a good guy.

Reactions: JDA

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crap. I placed an order with Sweetwater for 2 Remo heads and 3 pairs of VF 8D-N. I received the heads but the sticks were on backorder. The order was placed April 19. I don't think I'm getting the sticks.

I just checked, DFD currently has 16 pair of Vic Firth 8D-N in stock.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
+throw in Volkweins and Nothings Changed (? only added (Hawthornes) (and DFD).. in 37 years? !
Swissvale Music is gone I think ) and the one in Wilkinsburg was too long ago (to remember name? (what was it..
I remember the old man there that ran it +/- )
McKeesport still has -whats his name can't think) Progressive- Sandy.
Greensburg lost it's 3

Last edited:

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can speak that every stick manufacturing company is having issues fulfilling orders for marching bands with marching sticks and accessories.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score

The 8D-N is on the Discontinued list.

R - stick

Reaction score
If you can't get hold of any model because the manufacturer has stopped offering it, or you are looking for vintage models that have long been discontinued, I can help. I can make an exact copy of any model. And I can even do it from a picture if I know a few basic dimensions of the model you require.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
+throw in Volkweins and Nothings Changed (? only added (Hawthornes) (and DFD).. in 37 years? !
Swissvale Music is gone I think ) and the one in Wilkinsburg was too long ago (to remember name? (what was it..
Greensburg lost it's 3

DFD isn't actually a drum shop, it is a drum parts warehouse. It isn't open to public, although it was years ago. You can arrange to pickup in person when you order online or over the phone. They will bring your order to the front door.

When I want (or need) to visit a real drum shop these days, I either drive three hours east to Dale's in Harrisburg or drive three hours west to Columbus Pro Percussion. Both are great shops and worth the drive.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
DFD isn't actually a drum shop, it is a drum parts warehouse. It isn't open to public, although it was years ago. You can arrange to pickup in person when you order online or over the phone. They will bring your order to the front door.
I didn't know that; I thought of taking a Pearl wood Session Studio Select snare drum there- to fit some wood hoop (top) to. For fit and for which one I liked .. Guess that's Out.
See why

paulwells73

Reaction score
Greensburg lost it's 3
The store in Wilkinsburg was "Fabrizzi’s" - closed up around 1991 or 1992. Don’t forget about the store called "Drums" in Crafton, PA I think. They used to advertise in Modern Drummer. I have fond memories of Volkweins‘ location on the North Side, where the Andy Warhol Museum is now - floors and floors of cool gear!

• Love
Reactions: JDA

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised to read "I can speak that every stick manufacturing company is having issues fulfilling orders for marching bands with marching sticks". My guess would be all stick companies are struggling with wood supplies right now regardless of the intended market.

The hardwood industry is upside down right now with demand FAR outpacing supplies at every level (loggers, kilns, mills, transportation). While I continue slogging forward buying stock, the price, quality and available quantity has gone to heck in the proverbial hand basket!!! For example, 10 months ago I was sourcing 10,000'/bf a month of color sorted soft maple from one supplier. Today I am lucky to secure 4K a month from multiple vendors.

And with the stick manufacturers needing such highly sorted stock with super specific moisture content, I can imagine it's a nightmare trying to source the wood. I am lost without Regal Tip now and it's sounds like I better get off my rump and stock up on the "sorta close" options I have been able to find!

stick2it

Reaction score
I recently found a pair of Vic Firth 8D - Nylon online at Musician's Friend at a decent price. One stick was very warped. Called Musician's Friend, and they were friendly and sent me, expedited, a replacement pair at no charge. Again, one stick warped. I weighed all 4 sticks on a digital scale and they were nearly the same weight. So from 2 pairs, I got one pair. The other pair will hold up tomato plants in my garden.

I started a thread here not long ago, Sticks (again): Which brand is the best (i.e., consistently well-finished, durable, straight)?, because I was finding too many Vic Firth sticks with serious quality control issues. How can sticks be so warped? And how can the wood tips of sticks be warn down or split after two sets playing jazz in a small group? I don't think things have gotten better at VF, at least not for me (anyone know that tune?). My (many years) older VFs were great sticks.

I continue to purchase and try different sticks from different brands, including some boutique (more costly) ones, as suggested by those in the thread. So far, no good.

Today I ordered a pair from LA BackBeat, hoping it's the one. Have never had my hands on a pair of LA BrachBeats.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ang

RogersLudwig

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave up on getting used to anything but 7a / 5a / 2b years ago …..
After 3 signature sticks I liked were discontinued……

Everything is going to heck ,
Wendy’s hamburgers are terrible now
No one has good French fries
Chilis doesn’t have Cajun Ribeye anymore etc ……..
Thank goodness Taco Bell just brought back Pizza !!!!
and get off my lawn...

TonyVazquez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I gave up on getting used to anything but 7a / 5a / 2b years ago …..
After 3 signature sticks I liked were discontinued……

Everything is going to heck ,
Wendy’s hamburgers are terrible now
No one has good French fries
Chilis doesn’t have Cajun Ribeye anymore etc ……..
Thank goodness Taco Bell just brought back Pizza !!!!
And, FamilyDollar is not so
family dollar friendly anymore.

DollarTree needs to change its name
to Buck25 Ambush.

And, with the plastic grocery bag bans
in effect, we'll have to use Anvil cases
to haul our groceries home.

UGH!

Reaction score
I recenlty found a pair of Vic Firth 8D - Nylon online at Musician's Friend at a decent price. One stick was very warped. Called Musician's Friend, and they were friendly and sent me, expedited, a replacement pair at no charge. Again, one stick warped. I weighed all 4 sticks on a digital scale and they were nearly the same weight. So from 2 pairs, I got one pair. The other pair will hold up tomato plants in my garden.

I started a thread here not long ago, Sticks (again): Which brand is the best (i.e., consistently well-finished, durable, straight)?, because I was finding too many Vic Firth sticks with serious quality control issues. How can sticks be so warped? And how can the wood tips of sticks be warn down or split after two sets playing jazz in a small group? I don't think things have gotten better at VF, at least not for me (anyone know that tune?).

I tried several other brands, including some boutique (more costly) ones, as suggested by those in the thread. Nothing was better, most were worse. But very recently, I gave Vater a try (New Orleans Jazz, nylon tip) and they arrived not warped and, so far, feel good. Just ordered a pair of Vater Manhattan 7As nylon top to check them out. Maybe Vater is the victor? They have a nice history -- the family with the old drum shop in Boston - and a video found on YouTube showing their process of manufacturing offers some promise.

Overall, I'm kind of disgusted with the quality of sticks these days. And then, they're hard to find, and in some cases, hardly cheap.
I've had warped "first grade" sticks from all the major brands. I've received the least amount of warped sticks from Vater, then Pro-Mark, and the most from Vic Firth. I've bought more sticks from Vater and Pro-Mark than Vic Firth, so at least in my experience, that puts them dead last by a significant margin.

Customer service has been best from Vater and worst from Pro-Mark. However, since d'Addario bought Pro-Mark (now Promark?), their service has been every bit as good as Vater. I've never dealt with Vic Firth direct, so I have no idea how their service compares.

As far as I'm concerned, whatever brand of natural timber/wood stick you buy, you are bound to get a warped, or defective stick. A natural product is sometimes unpedictable, and you can never produce a perfect product all the time from what is essentially, an imperfect raw material.