Vic Firth wood shaft beater

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Giving this unique Vic beater a run. So far I really like it. A consistently solid stoke that seems to be giving me a more full sound. A nice balance too that is making quiet kicks easier to control. I watched a VF video on this where they talked about the balance, comparing the usual beater to swinging a sledge hammer and I can see what they mean.

Worth the $25 me thinks!

FB_IMG_1578177181311.jpg

J

jaymandude

That's cool. I've been using the Innovative Chris McHugh beater which gets a nice full sound as well

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I have that VicKick Wood Shaft model too, but I don't feel much difference in balance that you mentioned, maybe I'll try it out more. I compared it with a Danmar standard round felt and liked the Danmar a bit more because of familiarity I suppose. Another thing I noticed is the rod itself could be a bit longer. I prefer a hefty wallop for most gigging so plastic/felt reversible beaters like Gibraltar self-aligning are still my most used and likely always will be.

Glad you're enjoying yours though.....I'll give mine another shot.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny. I had a Guitar Center gift card and was perusing their website this morning and put a couple of things in the cart and had about 25 bucks left. Happened to notice this beater by chance and thought "what the heck, I'll give it a shot" and ordered it. An hour later I see this thread.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's cool. I've been using the Innovative Chris McHugh beater which gets a nice full sound as well
I like that one a lot, but it does feel top heavy to me. I use one of those adjustable weights on the shaft to balance it.

drumsdbes

Reaction score
I just picked purchased the VK5 beater as well and also really like it. I replaced my Pearl duo beater with it! Was interested in how it compares to the VK1 since they're both felt... I guess the VK1 can vary it's feel based on which surface strikes the head.

J

jaymandude

I like that one a lot, but it does feel top heavy to me. I use one of those adjustable weights on the shaft to balance it.
It's also the weight that gives it that sound to me. Some guys I hear using the small flat Tama beaters have no booty in their sound. But I hear you. And somehow other beaters like the DW can feel even heavier.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using a gibralter felt beater. It is heavy but I tend to like the weight. I'm not sure how I'd feel with a pedal where I dont take advantage of the weight the beater provides. I do have a heavy foot, tend to play loud and play hard rock and classic metal.

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had one of these in my shopping cart on Reverb for like 6 months. Don't know why I have been so resistant to pulling the trigger.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've had one of these in my shopping cart on Reverb for like 6 months. Don't know why I have been so resistant to pulling the trigger.
Because it's so different. I was in the same boat but the price was good so I grabbed it.