Vic's Drum Shop closing but...

Freewill3

Reaction score
...will remain on online store. From their Facebook page:
Dear Loyal Customers of Vic's Drum Shop,
We regret to announce that Wednesday December 4, 2019 will be the last day that the show rooms at Vic's Drum Shop will be open. Vic's will continue on as an online only store.
We are putting the pieces in place to continue to provide service and repairs at our Music Garage location, and we will announce the logistics of how that will operate once we have them. If you have an outstanding special order, layaway or gift card with us, do not worry, everything will be honored. The same goes for completed repairs. Call or email to set up a time for pick-up.
We really enjoy being a part of the fabric of the Chicago Percussion Community and will continue to find ways to remain as such. Please stay connected via our social media. We will provide regular updates as we push through the changes that we need to make to move forward in the modern economic landscape.
Thank you for your ongoing support these last 8 years, We look forward to bringing the same service you've come to expect of Vic's in our new online experience.

Vic's Drum Shop Staff

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Good Job Web-Shopping Enthusiasts, You've Murdered Another Store.

feelyat

Reaction score
Maybe, but mail-order shopping for specialized drum and percussion tools is not new, and not specific to the web. I was ordering from Steve Weiss and Lone Star Percussion in the early 80s, with their photocopied catalogs. The main reasons why they existed then (and why online shopping for drum accessories is a thing now) are price and selection. I recently went into a Sam Ash and they literally had one 20" kick head. I've been trying different head combinations on my toms, and the ones I'm looking for were simply not there (Evans G12 over Genera Resonant). The Guitar Center down the street was almost as bad (they had two 20" heads). Near my home, there are small mom-n-pop music stores, but their selection is terrible as are their prices ($25 14" Coated Ambassadors?), because they're not really drum shops. I don't really blame them, but I really don't have a reason to go there, since they don't have what I want.

Vic's always had great head/stick/accessory selection, and I'm sure it would've been a great place to buy a kit/snare/cymbal, if I'd ever been willing to buy a new one. Every time I've gone in there, they had what I needed, and their service was great, so they'll be missed. I just think they couldn't justify a brick and mortar store for people like me who came in every few months for heads and sticks.

I wonder if they could've done something like a hybrid online/physical shop, where they do most of their business online but keep a low-key shop available for locals and touring musicians. Something akin to Cascio or Sweetwater.

jmato

Reaction score
That's a shame. It's a great shop, and always a place I stopped (and bought stuff) when visiting Chicago.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They will be missed, I’ve bought a ton of stuff from them and were my go-to place. I figured something was up last time I was in there and they had consolidated a few of the showrooms already and their cymbal/stick selection was a shadow of its former self. I went home and told my wife I hope I’m wrong but....
There is still Mikes Drumshop in the suburbs, but it is nothing like Vic’s was, hopefully this can give his store a boost, being the only physical store still in the Chicago area.

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

If you’d ever have shopped there you would know it was not easy to get to, parking sucked and the neighborhood is a little scary. I’m willing to bet that these issues combined with a hefty overhead for the space made things pretty difficult.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you’d ever have shopped there you would know it was not easy to get to, parking sucked and the neighborhood is a little scary. I’m willing to bet that these issues combined with a hefty overhead for the space made things pretty difficult.
That's how I felt and why I never quite went back there. I was nervous about leaving my car and nervous about the one block walk to and from the store. Perhaps I'm just not urbanized enough ( I'm not that far from Chicago but everything turns into cornfields pretty quickly when you head west). I contemplated going back many times, it's a very cool store, but never quite made it there and was satisfied to stay out in the suburbs at Maxwells. I used to go to The Drum Pad in Palatine (a suburb northwest of Chicago) a couple times a month, even though it was about 130 miles away. Dealt with Victor there on many purchases, some relatively substantial. Unfortunately his departure to start his own store certainly contributed to the demise of the Drum Pad. I can't blame the guy for wanting to go off on his own but it's a shame that it contributed to killing Jim's cool little place. I remember Franks and Drums Ltd downtown and Maxwell's original location on Michigan ave was a nightmare. Vic's was very cool, but....location location location.

Last edited:

chappy

Reaction score
I've been to Vic's twice and both visits were great, but it is a pain to get to and parking wasn't great. When Vic overheard me say that I had driven from Kentucky straight to his shop, he dropped everything and gave me a tour of the store and let me sit behind a Terry Bozzio kit he had stored upstairs. It was a wonderful visit. Sad to hear that they're closing, but not all businesses last.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's too bad. I went there when I was in Chicago several years ago. Huge store with about anything you could want. I was looking for a kind of hard to find part and they had it. The parking and neighborhood was a little sketchy. It appeared that there was a rehearsal space upstairs but I don't know if that was part of Vic's or not

EssKayKay

Reaction score
Sad but like Queen said:

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one bites the dust…

gmiller598

Reaction score
I may be wrong about this but didn't Vic himself leave the shop a couple of years ago? I'm not sure of the circumstances but I recall hearing he left.

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had been there almost weekly for 7+ years as my teacher has his space in Music Garage, the building that housed Vic’s.

Neighborhood has been gentrifying and isn’t as dicey as it has been. But again, you’re in a major city.

As folks have mentioned, the shrinkage of the retail space had me wondering what was up. The owner of Music Garage also owns the store. He can likely make more from the space as rehearsal studios than as retail.

Saw a lot of clinics, bought a fair amount of gear and made friends with the staff - some really great folks. Hope they all do okay.

Vic had a great vision when he opened the store. Sad to see that we won’t have the store as an outlet any longer.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been to Vic's twice and both visits were great, but it is a pain to get to and parking wasn't great. When Vic overheard me say that I had driven from Kentucky straight to his shop, he dropped everything and gave me a tour of the store and let me sit behind a Terry Bozzio kit he had stored upstairs. It was a wonderful visit. Sad to hear that they're closing, but not all businesses last.
Hey chappy - at least we still have the Drum Center of Lexington, started by Kevin Toole (RIP, who got his start at Chuck Levin's) and now headed by Russ.

Freewill3

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to start shopping there when Vic was still there. I bought my USA Customs, hardware, cymbals, accessories, snare drums there and attended many clinics. Became friends with a couple of the staff too, great guys all around. When shopping for a new drums, it was a weekly ritual to go there and try out new gear at such an amazing shop.

chicagojzz

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is still Mikes Drumshop in the suburbs, but it is nothing like Vic’s was, hopefully this can give his store a boost, being the only physical store still in the Chicago area.
Chicago Drum Exchange on Lincoln has a good range of product, and of course Steve Maxwell's out in the western suburbs is still there and doing well (though neither has the range of sticks, cymbals and accessories as Vic's did).

Latest posts