Vic's Drum Shop closing but...

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Chicago Drum Exchange on Lincoln has a good range of product, and of course Steve Maxwell's out in the western suburbs is still there and doing well (though neither has the range of sticks, cymbals and accessories as Vic's did).
Not to take anything away from Chicago Drum Exchange, which is a very nice shop, but Vic's was way bigger had way more of everything when I was there. I'm glad they are still hanging in there.

chappy

Reaction score
Hey chappy - at least we still have the Drum Center of Lexington, started by Kevin Toole (RIP, who got his start at Chuck Levin's) and now headed by Russ.
I stop by the ol’ DCL weekly. Love that place and the staff. I miss Kevin, he was a great guy.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I stop by the ol’ DCL weekly. Love that place and the staff. I miss Kevin, he was a great guy.
Kevin was a great guy, indeed. When I was going through some intense personal issues years ago, I used to stop by and hang. He made me laugh, every time. He lent me his "Traps, The Drum Wonder" book. I never got a chance to give it back. "Local Hero", for sure.

eigentone

Reaction score
Shame. I was just there two months ago. It was a nice drum-focused shop and the staff was great.

We've still got a few nice independent shops here in New England. Drum Center NH, Boston Drum Center and The Drum Shop in Maine to name a few.

Hemant

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey chappy - at least we still have the Drum Center of Lexington, started by Kevin Toole (RIP, who got his start at Chuck Levin's) and now headed by Russ.
Whoa -- did not know that Kevin passed. He took the order on my first real drum kit (Tama) at Chuck's back in the early 80's.

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Shame. I was just there two months ago. It was a nice drum-focused shop and the staff was great.

We've still got a few nice independent shops here in New England. Drum Center NH, Boston Drum Center and The Drum Shop in Maine to name a few.
that’s one of the many things I looked forward to before moving to S Maine this last summer. Haven’t been to the store in Boston, maybe Saturday

What It Is

Reaction score
Victor hasn't been associated with "Vic's Drum Shop" for years now. The parting was sudden and I believe his investors weren't happy with Vic's vision of running a successful shop. When Victor left, I stopped going as did many other customers. Miss the Drum Pad and miss Victor. He's a friend and still puts on drum shows and clinics in Chicago.

What It Is

Reaction score
They will be missed, I’ve bought a ton of stuff from them and were my go-to place. I figured something was up last time I was in there and they had consolidated a few of the showrooms already and their cymbal/stick selection was a shadow of its former self. I went home and told my wife I hope I’m wrong but....
There is still Mikes Drumshop in the suburbs, but it is nothing like Vic’s was, hopefully this can give his store a boost, being the only physical store still in the Chicago area.
Been wanting to check out Mike's, I've never been. What's it like? Looks cool on Reverb.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Whoa -- did not know that Kevin passed. He took the order on my first real drum kit (Tama) at Chuck's back in the early 80's.
That's cool to know; thanks for sharing. I remember when Kevin opened the Drum Center, many years ago. I tried to make it to the grand opening, but missed it. As I was pulling up in my car, Kevin was leaving - in his station wagon! He stopped, stuck his head out the window, and in very typical Kevin fashion, said, "If you're looking for the new drum store, we closed it up already - thanks to you!" What a great guy he was. Yes, he passed in the late-2000s, I think. His poor health came and took him rather suddenly. He is missed.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Reaction score
I just went last weekend to Chuck Levin, last time I went was 27 years ago. That place was packed with stuff. The staff was very nice and helpful. The only weird thing there is when you cash out, one has to go to that wooden booth thing and deal with a cashier. Like they don't trust their salespeople to cash you out or something.

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
Selling drums (or musical instruments in general) is a tough way to make a living. It's a product segment where even if one does everything right, the gross margin is somewhere between 25-30%, that after subtracting for overhead, has a net margin somewhere between 12-15%.

Sustaining such a business can require turning over inventory multiple times a year, a feat most dealers cannot do relying solely on local sales, so they reach for the panacea of online sales, which in theory can widen their customer base, but will definitely increase their overhead and their direct competition.

Some offset this by leveraging social media, particularly YouTube, by producing product demos and other value content like clinics (Memphis Drum Shop and Drum Center of Portsmouth are two good examples), but it remains to be seen whether such efforts are enough to keep their doors open in the long term, particularly as demand shrinks and the competition widens.

Sorry to hear that another independent drum shop is closing its doors, but it seems that the only way one can expect to make a small fortune in the MI biz is by starting out with a large one.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Growing up in the San Gabriel Valley, there were quite a few music stores and separate drum shops. Sadly, they are all gone, except for GC in Glendora. Professional Drum Shop in Hollywood is the closest to me, but it can be a real pain to make the trip with our traffic! While it is a small shop, it's been there since the 50's and is always packed with pretty cool percussion items. Still, I can't help but wonder how long the will continue to be a presence. It does seem like they're doing everything right, but you just never know.

Drum City was around the corner, on Santa Monica Blvd, and is where I purchased my Rogers Celebrity kit back in 1972. They closed their doors a long time ago. I wasn't even aware of Pro Drum back then. How sad is that?!!!

-Mark

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good Job Web-Shopping Enthusiasts, You've Murdered Another Store.

Are you saying you've never once purchased anything online? Anything at all?

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
Growing up in the San Gabriel Valley, there were quite a few music stores and separate drum shops. Sadly, they are all gone, except for GC in Glendora. Professional Drum Shop in Hollywood is the closest to me, but it can be a real pain to make the trip with our traffic! While it is a small shop, it's been there since the 50's and is always packed with pretty cool percussion items. Still, I can't help but wonder how long the will continue to be a presence. It does seem like they're doing everything right, but you just never know.

Drum City was around the corner, on Santa Monica Blvd, and is where I purchased my Rogers Celebrity kit back in 1972. They closed their doors a long time ago. I wasn't even aware of Pro Drum back then. How sad is that?!!!

-Mark
Though I don't know this for a fact, I've long suspected that Pro Drums owns the building they're in; also, it's a family-run business.

XVIII Airborne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Been wanting to check out Mike's, I've never been. What's it like? Looks cool on Reverb.
It’s ok, not a huge selection of sticks or heads and he doesn’t have any sets on display, the store is much too small for that. It’s not really the destination place that Vic’s was, hopefully he will get a boost in sales from Vic’s closing.
Vic was all about having stock in the store, His stick wall was a good indication of that, he carried every model for all the top makers, his cymbal room as well was stuffed with every size and model. That had translate into huge $$$, something his investors were probably at odds with. When he left, the stock went way down to just the popular models.

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Though I don't know this for a fact, I've long suspected that Pro Drums owns the building they're in; also, it's a family-run business.
I've always known it was family owned and operated. If they do own the building, that would certainly explain being able to be viable for all these decades. The next time I'm out there, I'll ask Stan or Jerry about this.

-Mark