video streaming vs audio

JTBates

Reaction score
hey all,

i'm wondering if people are using their mic'd up studio setups to teach on? I run a UA apollo with 6 mics on the kit. I am teaching online now for obvious reasons. Google hangouts has proven to only see/hear two of my microphones. Zoom seems to see/hear all my mics, but seems to be distorting as well(even with my levels almost at zero). Wondering if others are working through this problem(also for livestream performances as well) is there third party software for helping route and control the main outputs? what is anyone else trying?
just curious. i'm not holding my breath for a perfect answer or situation here.
thanks.

-jt bates

Rock Salad

Reaction score
I took a couple of online lessons. Audio was just the poopy computer mic on both sides, but i learned a little still yet.
Sorry, no idea how one could do a good audio

pgm554

Reaction score
You got to remember that the audio /video TCP stream is compressed when sending packets of data over the internet.
If they are dropped, they are retransmitted resulting in something called propagation delay.
So you get distortion and out of sync sound.
Factor in the speed of light and there you have it.

JTBates

Reaction score
I did sort out the issue that I was having. I had to lower my settings on the Apollo to 16/44,100. (I record at 24/88,200). I guess I was just trying to send too much actual data into Zoom and it was buckling under the pressure.

Reaction score
I've been teaching online lessons for a few years, but due to the pandemic had to switch ALL of my lessons to online for the last couple months. I've found Zoom to work best with the clearest audio/video sync.
I'm running my kit miced up with the Yamaha EAD10, and running that though an interface along with a headset mic to talk to the students. Having the drum and my voice on separate channels I can pre mix the audio I'm sending them and make sure the levels are good and nothing is distorting.

I also run the audio they send me into a mixer and use my IEM's to hear them, so there's no bleed over from my mics, or their audio causing latency.

The icing on the cake is that I also run Zoom with an external HD webcam that I've mounting in front of my kit with a wide lens attached to it. This way the student can seem my whole kit, and me facing them. Best part is, my laptop sits next to me, and if I need them to see my hands up close I can switch the camera to the laptop real fast. The audio stays the same and only the camera angle changes.

Latest posts