header.nohb.html

Videos of fluid jazz playing

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
Anyone have examples of videos of jazz greats that clearly show fluid wrist and elbow/arm motion? I can see glimpses of it in videos of Kenny Clarke and Roy Haynes but I’m having trouble finding high-quality videos that keep the focus on the drummer, show their hands and arms, and depict what I’m trying to work on. (I’m trying to fix some issues of stiffness and heaviness in my playing).

Sometimes finding the right thing on YouTube is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
Anyone have examples of videos of jazz greats that clearly show fluid wrist and elbow/arm motion? I can see glimpses of it in videos of Kenny Clarke and Roy Haynes but I’m having trouble finding high-quality videos that keep the focus on the drummer, show their hands and arms, and depict what I’m trying to work on. (I’m trying to fix some issues of stiffness and heaviness in my playing).

Sometimes finding the right thing on YouTube is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Like this, for example:

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazz and other - you want to see fluid drumming just look up Dave Weckl and Vinnie Collauta. Lots of youtube vids on both of them.

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
Jazz and other - you want to see fluid drumming just look up Dave Weckl and Vinnie Collauta. Lots of youtube vids on both of them.
Thanks, but I’m having trouble finding videos that keep the focus on the drummer and show their hands and arms. Most videos pan around the band, focus on the drummer’s face or kit, and/or are not of sufficiently high quality for me to clearly see what the drummer is doing. Do you have any specific recommendations?

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's a lesser known European drummer, mostly free form. Very fluid movements around the kit. However, it starts with what music you imagine.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but I’m having trouble finding videos that keep the focus on the drummer and show their hands and arms. Most videos pan around the band, focus on the drummer’s face or kit, and/or are not of sufficiently high quality for me to clearly see what the drummer is doing. Do you have any specific recommendations?

3 in 1