Vintage 1920's NOB 4 Inch Super Ludwig

Glenn Bury

Reaction score
Hello drum forum members. I recently purchased this 1920's NOB 4" Super Ludwig snare drum. Its a beautiful peice but does require some parts. 3-4 of the hoop claw clips are broken and I have managed to source these from the states. ( I live in Australia). However the snare wires are something I have not come across and seem hard to get. If anyone has some ideas on where I can get such a thing I would be gratefull for the information.

Also I don't know exactly what model this drum is so any information about it's year/model and value would be great. It has Super Ludwig embossed on the bottom hoop and Ludwig embossed on the shell.

Iam not intending to sell it as these things almost never come up for sale in Oz.Just trying to source information.

Best
Glenn
IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Gorgeous and rare drum!!
No. 235, 4"x 14" (Dance model). It looks like there was a repair on the rivet hinge that holds the parallel mechanism
Ludwig & Ludwig started counter-sinking the Tube lugs around 1926-27 and snare guards were available as an option around 1927. The adjustable snares are usually positioned under the throw-off arm instead of the butt side. An extra hole seems to have been drilled next to the vent hole. Perhaps for an internal muffler or some kind of a heater (for calf heads).

If you are interested in the individual snare tuning system, then I would direct you to Bill Wanser (fmr Prin. Percussion with the Phoenix Symphony and co-owner of Olympic Drums and percussion. He can reproduce excellent SS snare wires/gut cable systems.

Olympic Drums

Glenn Bury

Reaction score
Absolutely Gorgeous and rare drum!!
No. 235, 4"x 14" (Dance model). It looks like there was a repair on the rivet hinge that holds the parallel mechanism
Ludwig & Ludwig started counter-sinking the Tube lugs around 1926-27 and snare guards were available as an option around 1927. The adjustable snares are usually positioned under the throw-off arm instead of the butt side. An extra hole seems to have been drilled next to the vent hole. Perhaps for an internal muffler or some kind of a heater (for calf heads).

If you are interested in the individual snare tuning system, then I would direct you to Bill Wanser (fmr Prin. Percussion with the Phoenix Symphony and co-owner of Olympic Drums and percussion. He can reproduce excellent SS snare wires/gut cable systems.

Olympic Drums
Thanks kggrissom. Really usefull info.From what you say would you date this drum at 1926-27?

Although I have been a player for quite some time I am a bit of a novice when it comes to restorations. My sense of this drum is that I want to keep it as close to it's origional state as possible.As I said they almost never come up for Sale here in Oz and I fell for it when I saw it.

Well spotted on the hinge repair I hadn't paid a lot of attention to that. On closer inspection of the two holes it looks very much like it was factory made. I could be wrong but it's just they way the nickle plating wraps into it that makes me think that. Also the smaller hole is slightly oval rather than perfectly round. Seems like the sort of arrangement used for a baseball bat muffler?

If i can obtain a set of snare wires that suit this model that would be great. I will get in touch with Bill from Olympic.

Thanks heaps

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful and rare one!

Puresound makes a set of non-adjustable wires

Glenn Bury

Reaction score
Hi DFO members.
Just wanted to give a shout out for the generous feedback on my drum. This has turned out to be really helpful information.

A special thanks to Bill Wanser from Olympic drums who was very generous with his impresive knowledge also about this piece.

Turns out the drum has had a few mods over the years. Most significanlty it appears to have been replated at some time it its life (chrome i suspect). This was an excellent bit of detective work by Bill and unfortunatley is peeling off in one small section.

With this in mind I now consider the peice to be a players drum rather than something to restore in the truest sense. That said it is still a very special thing which I will now pull down, clean and rebuild with a variety of new and vintage parts.

Will post some pics when I am done.
Cheers