Vintage 60’s Premier...good drums/worth it? Update 7/19/20

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If they are mahogany interior plies, absolutely. Check to make certain the drums are sized in inches. Somewhere in the 60s Premier changed from Metric to English.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My primary concern would be whether or not they are metric sizes. I know that there's a lot of love for the birch and African mahogany shells. All my Premier drums, with the exception of a 70s 2000 snare and an 80s Project One, are 90s drums like Genista and Artist Birch.

Dan

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The older drums with the birch shells are amazing. Not sure these are those.

I don’t know what era they are. But I’ve been on the lookout for a cheap project kit for a while now.

thestorysold

Reaction score
can't offer any advice on the drums, but just wanted to say from that one picture they look like they're in really good condition for their age. is that the original wrap?

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of refurbishing a very similar aged Premier kit. Check the wrap. Is any separating from the shell? MY buddy neglected his a bit.

And I have NOT been able to find one of those attached cymbal stands ANYWHERE. Dang

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Sooooo, he thinks yes they are metric and thinks they’re maple with re-rings. Hmmmm. Doesn’t seem to sure.
Think he's right on the first part (metric) wrong on the second (Birch) shell (Beech) ring
~~~~~~~~~~
Should have took pic of tom hoops (beer barrel ears are Metric) noticeable difference)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
L- rods on bass usually metric kit....I'd stay away unless you like tinkering with old British cars= Hillman, or Austin Seven

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The International shells started around '68 and and there was a mixture of International and Pre-International drums between '68 through '72. It is always a good idea to check though.

Pre-International shells were NEVER METRIC. Prior go moving to the metric system Britain used British Imperial Units and that is what they used for sizing their drum shells before adopting the International standard for drum sizes.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
for expediency metric gets used until a better word comes along- whitworth? until then it's called incorrectly but describes a problem.
What would we agree to call it. Right here and Now. BIU? British Imperial? Whitworth..
Maybe just Pre-International. My 72 set had International ink stamp in some of the shells.
Pre-internation sounds good.

68clubdate

Reaction score
That looks like a fabulous set of drums to me.

Is that a 2001 snare?

IF you like the sizes, that's it.

Those heads aren't very difficult to get, as long as you go Remo.

At $650? Beginner kit price on a lifer.

-looked closer: that sure looks like a 2001 to me.

Somebody here better grab these before I do.

Last edited:

Roosto

Reaction score
The International shells started around '68 and and there was a mixture of International and Pre-International drums between '68 through '72. It is always a good idea to check though.

Pre-International shells were NEVER METRIC. Prior go moving to the metric system Britain used British Imperial Units and that is what they used for sizing their drum shells before adopting the International standard for drum sizes.
In the Sixties, was there much difference between Beverley and Premier?