Vintage 60’s Premier...good drums/worth it? Update 7/19/20

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
They look in great condition, and priced better than fair to my mind. Wonder if it's been re-wrapped?? That kit looks like it was built (based on the bass drum L-rods and the badges if I squint hard enough) before when they crossed over to standard sizes, so you're right on with mid-60's.
The older `pre-international' 16" floor toms are 10 lugs, so that is a quick check. the 12" is also likely pre-international (11 7/8" or so). Wood would (would wood?) be birch with beech re-rings.
The 2001 snare is curious, that and it's 2000 sister came out about when they changed to standard sized toms, judging by the catalogues.
These are great drums though - despite being limited to only a few head choices (at least with the 12 and 16" toms). They suit a higher tuning and absolutely sing, and the 2001 snare is killer.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
for expediency metric gets used until a better word comes along- whitworth? until then it's called incorrectly but describes a problem.
What would we agree to call it. Right here and Now. BIU? British Imperial? Whitworth..
Maybe just Pre-International. My 72 set had International ink stamp in some of the shells.
Pre-internation sounds good.

I thought I cleared this up back in May.

Whitworth is a British standard for threads. It does specify the size of the bolt head. Nothing else. Britain used the British Imperial System before they switched to the metric system in '68. The dimensions of a pre international shell are measured in British Imperial Units. Not Whitworth which is only for threads on fasteners
I'm all about accuracy, not expediency.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those are definitely birch shells with beech re-rings. If they are pre -'68 which I would suspect they are given the mounts on the toms and the badges, they are most likely pre-international size. Remo still makes heads for them. You will want to have a few spares on hand since they are a little harder to get.

jmetatual

Reaction score
Pre-International shells were NEVER METRIC. Prior go moving to the metric system Britain used British Imperial Units and that is what they used for sizing their drum shells before adopting the International standard for drum sizes.
The British Imperial Unit inch and American inch are the same. Was Premier making "fractionally" sized shells rather than in full inches (e.g. 11-7/8" instead of 12", 16-5/16" instead of 16") or were they using the metric system (e.g. 30cm, 41cm)?

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
The British Imperial Unit inch and American inch are the same. Was Premier making "fractionally" sized shells rather than in full inches (e.g. 11-7/8" instead of 12", 16-5/16" instead of 16") or were they using the metric system (e.g. 300mm, 410mm)?
I contend the correct term (if you don't like Pre-International - which I do and think we should leave it at that)
is...
Whitworth
last 6000th time
I'll s̶a̶y̶ suggest it

Last edited:

jmetatual

Reaction score
Pre-International is a good term. Whitworth is incorrect as 'thin shell' previously stated (has to do with fastener threads and head sizes not a measurement of length).

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Whitworth is incorrect as 'thin shell' previously stated (has to do with fastener threads and head sizes not a measurement of length).
Yet I had sets of Whitworth wrenches to work on early British cars look it up.
head sizes not a measurement of length).
Whitworth head size expanded-out, could've been diameter of the pre-international oddball shells.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The British Imperial Unit inch and American inch are the same. Was Premier making "fractionally" sized shells rather than in full inches (e.g. 11-7/8" instead of 12", 16-5/16" instead of 16") or were they using the metric system (e.g. 30cm, 41cm)?
Very good question. They always referred to their drums in inches but that obviously was not the case. Perhaps they were using metric.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I could be totally wrong on this, but I seem to remember the American heads being oversized on the Premier birch/beech toms I had. I always thought that the floating head really helped open up the sound of the drums. I also stripped the drums of the wrap and gave the beautiful birch shell a couple clear coats of satin poly. They were amazing drums. Regret selling or whatever happened to them.
In any case, you should jump on these. And just get some metric heads if necessary.

68clubdate

Reaction score
Saturday? Heavens to Betsy, just go buy that kit. That's an offer you should never reasonably expect to see again.

I don't even use "rock sizes" and I gotta have 'em. [all yours first].

You don't need to worry about those slotted rods. Just use a small coin in a pinch. You'll never do a gig where there isn't one in the room. Seller may even have an old Premier key. Sonor keys work fine as well.

If you don't want them, tell the seller about the forum and they will be sold in 10 minutes.

This kit is in upstate NY?

Last edited:

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Saturday? Heavens to Betsy, just go buy that kit. That's an offer you should never reasonably expect to see again.

I don't even use "rock sizes" and I gotta have 'em. [all yours first].

You don't need to worry about those slotted rods. Just use a small coin in a pinch. You'll never do a gig where there isn't one in the room. Seller may even have an old Premier key. Sonor keys work fine as well.

If you don't want them, tell the seller about the forum and they will be sold in 10 minutes.
That is the time/day he offered.(Saturday am) Seller is supposed to call me tonight and set it up. I’ve had ‘cut-throats’ jump in on other deals so if it happens(and hopefully not as I’d like to own a Premier kit as never had one) out of my control but a crappy move but unfortunately happens.
Thank you kindly for the reply/education.

68clubdate

Reaction score
Premier floor toms having split lugs, even though them being the same depth as the bass drums in that era is all I've seen on those kits. All others have "double ended" lugs. Weird? Yes.....but almost certainly original.

Those tom arm mounts on the bass drum work better than they would appear to. I've never had a problem with one.

I'd bet those things sound amazing cranked up. Or Down.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jmetatual

Reaction score
Yet I had sets of Whitworth wrenches to work on early British cars look it up.

Whitworth head size expanded-out, could've been diameter of the pre-international oddball shells.
Yes I have Whitworth wrenches also. For use on Whitworth threaded fasteners (bolts, nuts).

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
Not sure if Brits have ever used the metric system, might be wrong, often am! Where's some UK based members??

Latest posts