Vintage 60’s Premier...good drums/worth it? Update 7/19/20

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
Are these Royale-level, or the real deal?

Not mine.

They kinda look like killers.
Looks like a premier soundwave, which was made in that era but the lugs don't look quite right. Had an `81 model (shoulda kept it) and the lugs were different to the ones shown in the pic. Soundwave were the same as Elite (which along with resonator were the top-line models of this era), just with single lugs instead of the hi-tension and flanged hoops instead of die cast. Shells and hardware otherwise the same.
The shells are legit premier judging by the interior photo, however the lugs, bass drum hoops are aftermarket. Been hot-rodded I reckon, worth asking why??
Royale were made from Luan and didn't have the re-rings or the gull-wing spurs, otherwise looked very similar to the Soundwave line.

Jackal Jack

Reaction score
Those are 6000 series, and they have the same three ply birch shells with beach rerings as their top end kits. The lugs are what Premier used on the Beverly drums that these were sold as in the UK.

That was probably a 6500 Powerhouse and is missing the 10x14" rack tom that it would have come with. It has also had the spurs replaced with Pearl type spurs. It would have originally had gullwing type spurs. That price is a bit high but they are great drums.

I have a set '78 in black wrap that came with a matching wood snare, hi hat, snare stand and one cymbal stand that I got for $275 about 5 years ago. I love them.
Ahhh this explains alot, were the 6000 series USA only??

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sorry those drums did not work out for you. The cymbal mount on the kit you posted is actually a mini-boom. See the picture I posted of my kit.

I really like my vintage Premier kit. I recently picked up a matching snare (not pictured). I was told my finish was available from 1968-1972. I don't recall which are which but my kit is mixed, with one drum being Birch and the other two Mahogany, or vice versa. They are sound great with what I believe are the original Everplay Extra heads.

Attachments

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Sorry those drums did not work out for you. The cymbal mount on the kit you posted is actually a mini-boom. See the picture I posted of my kit.

I really like my vintage Premier kit. I recently picked up a matching snare (not pictured). I was told my finish was available from 1968-1972. I don't recall which are which but my kit is mixed, with one drum being Birch and the other two Mahogany, or vice versa. They are sound great with what I believe are the original Everplay Extra heads.
Thanks. Not disappointed though and confident with my decision.
Nice looking kit you have. The cymbal arm...does that have a groove running up the side, or is it solid all the way around? The one on kit I looked at had a groove running up side that the wing nut tightened into. Didn’t look right.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks. Not disappointed though and confident with my decision.
Nice looking kit you have. The cymbal arm...does that have a groove running up the side, or is it solid all the way around? The one on kit I looked at had a groove running up side that the wing nut tightened into. Didn’t look right.
Thanks. The lower pat of the cymbal rod has the groove. I always assumed it was designed that way to help with stability and prevent side to side twisting as the cymbal is being played. Seems to work fine for me.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Thanks. The lower pat of the cymbal rod has the groove. I always assumed it was designed that way to help with stability and prevent side to side twisting as the cymbal is being played. Seems to work fine for me.
Thank you. That cymbal arm was loose even with the wing but tightened best I could, and that was without a cymbal on it. Mount may have been slightly loose also adding to the instability.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score

One of my favorite Premier finishes.

John Rutsey played a very similar Blue Shimmer kit.

68clubdate

Reaction score
That Blue Shimmer kit is gorgeous!

Is that 12/16/20 with a 2000 snare? Is the matching snare you picked up a 2001?

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That silver kit is for sure rewrapped, the sparkle finishes from 60’s don’t stay that vibrant and the big grommets on the badge confirm that, the “P” hole is larger than original. I can tell from the distance.
the kit is from mid-late 60’s because it has mix of 60’s and 70’s hardware on them, it is probably late 60’s but with 60’s badge since some late 60’s kits have the 70’s badge (unless the badges are not original to the kit). Can have mix shells of mahogany and birch or all birch. If the 16” floor tom has 10 lugs then it is pre-international size.
$600-700 for a 5 piece 60’s/70’s Premier kit is a deal in my opinion if you know the value of these drums, whoever disagrees probably doesn’t know much about Premiers or is too blind by the love of Gretsch/Ludwig. Premiers are top notch.
The only problem you will have is that you need to stick to Remo to get the pre-international heads but they are available.

Last edited:

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
You will get no argument from me that Premiers are high qualiy, but I disagree about the price. Premiers are exremely undervalued in the vinage drum market and just don't bring what they should given their quality. A rewrap job usually devalues any drum kit so that would knock down the price even more. Add to that missing mufflers and patched holes and the drilled badges for the standard sized grommets. Preinternational sized shells also hurts the value and desirability for many.