Vintage A Zildjians Hollow Trademark

Mic'd Music

Reaction score
Hello, I have recently aquired some older Zildjian cymbals that beleive to be 50s & 60s. I've used a article by William Hartick to help date a few, but I don't know what year the hollow trademark with 3 dots refers to. Any help would be helpful. Thanks!

This trademark is on a 22" Ride that is 3.47kg

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
I have a 21" with that stamp that I'm pretty sure is from 1957/8. IMHO your cymbals are practically worthless, and since you are a fellow forumite I'll do you a favor and take them off your hands. :D

Congrats on a nice score!

jim

mountainhick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It seems generally accepted that hollow stamp=50s, hollow ink logo=70s. I have a 24 thin ride with the same stamp as yours that kills.

3.47 kg??? :shock: :shock: :shock: That's a chunk o' heavy metal!

katfish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That hollow "ZILDJIAN" stamp leads me to believe it's a 50's.

Mic'd Music

Reaction score
It really isn't that heavy, I'd say it was a medium wieght. It's huge, but has a nice wash though. Very big bang sounding to me. Has a few edge nicks, but still in good shape. No major key holing or cracks. I'll be selling it soon. What do you think I should ask for it?

Coelacanth

DFO Master
Reaction score
mountainhick said:
It seems generally accepted that hollow stamp=50s, hollow ink logo=70s. I have a 24 thin ride with the same stamp as yours that kills.

3.47 kg??? :shock: :shock: :shock: That's a chunk o' heavy metal!

The hollow ink logos, more specifically, are from the late 70's, I believe.

mountainhick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Mic said:
It really isn't that heavy, I'd say it was a medium wieght. It's huge, but has a nice wash though. Very big bang sounding to me. Has a few edge nicks, but still in good shape. No major key holing or cracks. I'll be selling it soon. What do you think I should ask for it?

To each their own. To me 3470 is the heavy side of medium for a 24" cymbal. For a 22" it's very heavy.

Based on following and buying and selling a darn lot of cymbals on ebay over the last few years, the value for this one is a bit of a wild card. These days the older thinner cymbals are netting better bids. If it was in the 2600 gram and under category, I think you could easily get $200, and around 2200 grams or less, probably $250-300, but with the heavy weight I really don't know.

Mic'd Music

Reaction score
Okay, I was wrong about the size. It is a 24".........I just knew it was bigger than a 20" and assumed 22". Sooooooooooo, I guess 3470g is about right for a medium 24"?

mlvbs

DFO Master
Reaction score
That would fall under Medium Heavy. Rare cymbal with that stamp. Here's a nice cymbal weight calculator I like to use: CALCULATOR

Latest posts