Vintage Bonham cymbal question circa 1969

bonzoleum

BONZOLEUM
Reaction score
Rhythm Devil said:
I thought they were GB's and 602 hats. ???
I don't think he started with the GBs til mid 1970. If you look at the films of the Jan 1970 Royal Albert Hall, it looks to be 602s all around, with possibly an Avedis in there as well.

Jdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Zep 1, Royal Albert Hall and other early shows will probably be debated forever. I would guess he probably used lots of types in the early days. There is photo of him holding a new giant beat in 1969 in the studio, but it doesn't mean that's all he used from then on. Carmine says he and John would put Carmines Giant Beats on Johns kit to use during the first USA vanilla fudge/ zeppelin tour ...before Bonham got his own Paiste deal. Here is a photo snippet I kept saved from a discussion years ago on the cymbals in the Royal Albert Hall footage. In addition to what's in the attachment , I think it's the Danish TV show in 69 that guys have said you can clearly see a giant beat logo on at least one cymbal a few minutes into it. Ive seen a bunch of pics from the early years that look like possibly a zildjian on his right side mixed with others that look like Paiste to me. I do enjoy the discussions on this stuff.

Attachments

Jdrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No label on the bottom of the Giants Beats. Just the embossed stamp on the top at 3 o'clock and the white ink "Giant Beat" stamp at 9 o'clock until later years when they went to the black ink at 12 o'clock before production ended in the 70's. There are some oddities out there. A few seen with the white label ink at 9 o'clock and a black Paiste stamp at 12' o'clock. Probably a transition period.

Song remains the same is 2002 SE's. There are some photos out there that clearly show that. I do have a good photo of the green sparkle kit somewhere from 72, I think it is, where you can clearly see 602 SE hats from the inking on the bottom hat. I should scan it sometime. Ive only found a couple shots that are clear enough to make out the 602 SE ink. There are other photos where you easily see the SE rippled bottoms on his kit before the 2002's were out, so they had to be the 602's.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Too bad we can't just ask the man himself... Bonham's untimely passing at 32 still brings me to ask "what if..." To bad he didn't get to grow old like Ian Paice has...still kicking ass after all of these years.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
There's photos/pics on the net/web of him in '69 taken during the recording of LZ II depicting/showing him removing a 18" Paiste Giant Beat , another one where's his playing "tracking" to a song that clearly depicts/shows his ride cymbal also a Giant Beat 24" , In Rythmm magazine's 40th anniversary issue of LZIV, There's a interview with Fredie Struder who worked in Paiste sound development in the late 60s, he recalls&remenbers cleary Bonham calling,going into/visiting the Paiste factory in late 68/early 69 when LZ were touring europe&picking out cymbals , which were: 602&Giant Beats : 15" SE hats 602, 15" 1820&24" Giant Beats.

Latest posts