Vintage COB 5” vs new BB 6.5

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Which would you keep? Vintage 5” super or a new BB 6.5 size snare? Of course, the vintage drum will be harder to replace. But it seems like I’ve gravitated towards the deep dish. If money was not an object, I’d keep both. Maybe I will.

vigilante397

Reaction score
When I'm trying to decide what to get rid of and what to keep, I pretty much consider two things: resale value and how much I like it. If I have two things I like equally I will sell the one I can get the most money out of. If I love one but the other one isn't worth much, it could make sense to keep both. If I love the cheap one it's a pretty easy decision to sell the expensive one.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Occasionally, I get in a bind and have to sell something for household budget requirements. I've made a few regretful choices. I have learned to sell something that can be easily replaced out of the choices. Even if you like it better than the other choices, you can get another when you can financially.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was in a similar boat but it differed in that I sold a vintage 5" Super to fund buying a new 6.5" BB. I've gotten so much use out of the modern BB I've never looked back. The Super was finicky to me. It's been 6-7 years now though and this is making me wonder what'd be like to still have that drum. So much for never looking back!

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Which would you keep? Vintage 5” super or a new BB 6.5 size snare? Of course, the vintage drum will be harder to replace. But it seems like I’ve gravitated towards the deep dish. If money was not an object, I’d keep both. Maybe I will.
The 6.5 is great!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hated to do it, but I’m selling the 5” COB. I usually end up playing my deep drums, but I still have an amazing Luddalloy version of the 5, so I can use that when I want. And it was about half the price.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just want to confirm - the 5" COB is a "super" (sensitive), not a SUPRA?

I'd probably hold my COB Supra but if it's a SS, I'd stick to my plan and sell it for a newer BB.

hefty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just want to confirm - the 5" COB is a "super" (sensitive), not a SUPRA?

I'd probably hold my COB Supra but if it's a SS, I'd stick to my plan and sell it for a newer BB.
I took the OP to mean a Super Ludwig, so pre-Supra COB.

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a pre serial super Ludwig 5 inch. Craps all over modern black beauties in any depth. No brainer for me. I wouldn't consider a modern Ludwig brass shell drum unless they crimp the snare beds and put 1.6 mm brass hoops on them. Never gonna happen!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a pre serial super Ludwig 5 inch. Craps all over modern black beauties in any depth. No brainer for me. I wouldn't consider a modern Ludwig brass shell drum unless they crimp the snare beds and put 1.6 mm brass hoops on them. Never gonna happen!
But really, how much difference do brass hoops make? Other than being rare, and not found on modern made drums. In a live setting with a band, would anyone notice? Serious question. I’m thinking possibly it could be heard in a clinical studio situation, but live, not so sure.

Latest posts