Vintage Cocktail Drum Sets

sazemanek1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't have one but I love seeing them. Anyone have a vintage Cocktail Drum Set they can show us?

SAZ

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wish I did have a pic! I had a 55 WFL Cocktail in red sparkle w/open bottomed toms(1 on each side) and 2 cymbal arms. Sold it a long time ago and somehow never took a picture of it.

sazemanek1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice. I've never had the chance to play a set of these. They look like fun! I hope to see some more here!

SAZ

sazemanek1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
wflkurt said:
I have a 1968 Ludwig Miami beach. The wrap is all one piece on mine too. I love cocktail drums myself.
Love the wrap on it. Looks great! What type of pedal are you using with it?

SAZ

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I'm using a Ludwig speedmaster from the 60's. When I got the drum it had no mount for a pedal or anything like that so a friend of mine made one for me. The speedmaster is what would have come with a cocktail drum and it works great IMO.

The snares in these cocktail drums pretty much sound like crap so somewhere down the line I was fortunate to find a 1959 3x13 piccolo that I use on a snare stand off the side. It sounds SO much better and looks pretty cool.

Attachments

W&A Player

DFO Master
Reaction score
You are correct about the snares under the top head of a cocktail drum sounding like crap. I don't use those snares. I bought a cheap no name popcorn snare that I wrapped in some donor wrap that a friend removed from an old bass drum. The 24" deep cocktail drum with matching bongo tom and 13" Zildjian cymbal came to me as an open bottom drum. It already had some extra holes. So, I felt no guilt when I added a bottom head. I was able to use the wood hoop that was tacked on to the bottom of the drum as a bottom hoop. I also added a mounting plate for the little snare. The little cocktail set is just the right size so that I can play it while sitting down if I want to. That way, I can use a hi hat. Sorry about the "before" picture being sideways.

Attachments

SlingyFan

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an early 60s Slingerland 14x24 in original mardi gras pearl, and also have a players Leedy cocktail setup in repro mardi gras. Neither of them really get played, I'm considering letting them go.

Attachments

Drums

Reaction score
Here's my '57 WFL 6.5x14 snare and '59 transition badge 16x24 kit. I don't play her very often but now I'll have to get her out again soon!

Attachments

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a couple of Rogers Parklanes (3 piece) and an Astoria (2 piece). These sets are great for either stand-up or sit-down. I prefer sitting, but some of our gigs have stages that just don't offer much space for a trio.

1958 Astoria:
08 Spotlight Full Image.jpg 09 Spotlight Stand-Up.jpg

1959 Parklane:
10 Purple Diamond Majesty.jpg

1960 as Parklane Sit-down:
01 Stew McGoo Parklane Front View 1.jpg 02 Stew McGoo Parklane Players View 1.jpg
03 Stew McGoo Parklane With Cannister Throne 3.jpg 04 Stew McGoo Parklane With Cannister Throne - Tom Playing.jpg

1960 as Astoria Stand-up:
05 Stew McGoo Astoria Stand-Up Close In.jpg 07 Stew McGoo Astoria Stand-Up - Full Band Smiling.jpg

Latest posts