• Modern Drum Hardware 1985 through present

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • Vintage Drum Hardware 1915 though 1985

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know it seems like a no-brainer, but there are still lots of folks who relish the lugs, stands and pedals pre 1985 and may be able to give some insight as to their virtues. I personally, am glad to leave behind some of the stuff I used in the 60's and 70's, but there's something for everyone. What are your thoughts? And if this isn't for you...please just move on to another thread, thanks!

notINtheband

Reaction score
Hands down, modern. I started drumming in the 70’s and the older stuff I had then, even the new stuff back then, was cumbersome, prone to break or strip, either built too heavy to be practical, or too flimsy to hold up.
I am reminded every time I visit my local drum shop how much better most (not all) modern hardware is designed, built, and innovative.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i love the old drums , that's all i own .... but i like to use the more modern stands
and mounts for toms and such ... right now i have inde mounts on all of my toms
i use a mix of dw , pearl , and yamaha stands , and pedals here's a few pics . of old drums and new hardware ...

Attachments

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vintage vibe modern hardware would be my preference.... However whenever I buy any vintage kit I try to get the original hardware as well.... There's certainly a market for that stuff ...case in point. I scored a Rogers Red Onyx kit 20/12/14/16 the 14 and 16 were floor toms also a matching powertone snare...it was in fantastic shape... I sold it for quite a chunk but the purchaser didn't want the swan leg hardware at all.... I held on to that and used it with a few kits and then eventually sold the entire set up to a dealer for a very good price as well ... They made me an offer at the Delaware drum show for the entire set up before the show even began....

John DeChristopher

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it had to be one or the other, I'd play all vintage hardware with no hesitation. I'm almost doing that now anyway, other than 4 x DW Ultralight cymbal stands. And I'm thinking I'll go back to my vintage flat base cymbal stands - a mixture of Ludwig and Walberg & Auge.

I've said this before in these threads; modern hardware for the most part might be a little more functional or offer extra features, but in most cases is over engineered. Not to mention way too heavy. I've seen hi hat clutches that should come with an instructional manual.

And since 99% of today's hardware comes out of the same factory in China, there is zero personality or individuality between brands. How many drum companies use the same bass drum spurs? How many companies have almost identical looking cymbal stands? Vintage hardware looks so much better and has way more personality, in my opinion. And for the most part, each brand was unique. Even though W&A was making hardware for many companies back in the day, they were able to differentiate themselves.

Nothing kills the "vibe" of a vintage kit more than a bunch of modern double braced cymbal and hi hat stands.

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Vintage vibe modern hardware would be my preference.... However whenever I buy any vintage kit I try to get the original hardware as well.... There's certainly a market for that stuff ...case in point. I scored a Rogers Red Onyx kit 20/12/14/16 the 14 and 16 were floor toms also a matching powertone snare...it was in fantastic shape... I sold it for quite a chunk but the purchaser didn't want the swan leg hardware at all.... I held on to that and used it with a few kits and then eventually sold the entire set up to a dealer for a very good price as well ... They made me an offer at the Delaware drum show for the entire set up before the show even began....
i had alot of old ludwig stands at one time .... there was a member that posted in the wanted section , he was looking for an old snare stand
i contacted him , and said i had a couple ... he asked if i had any other old ludwig stands , so i told him what i had , and sent him pictures
he bought every single stand , speed king pedals , cowbells and mounts and a bunch of misc. ludwig stuff i had
all my old vintage ludwig stuff is long gone .... and i haven't missed it for a minute

Last edited:

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it had to be one or the other, I'd play all vintage hardware with no hesitation. I'm almost doing that now anyway, other than 4 x DW Ultralight cymbal stands. And I'm thinking I'll go back to my vintage flat base cymbal stands - a mixture of Ludwig and Walberg & Auge.

I've said this before in these threads; modern hardware for the most part might be a little more functional or offer extra features, but in most cases is over engineered. Not to mention way too heavy. I've seen hi hat clutches that should come with an instructional manual.

And since 99% of today's hardware comes out of the same factory in China, there is zero personality or individuality between brands. How many drum companies use the same bass drum spurs? How many companies have almost identical looking cymbal stands? Vintage hardware looks so much better and has way more personality, in my opinion. And for the most part, each brand was unique. Even though W&A was making hardware for many companies back in the day, they were able to differentiate themselves.

Nothing kills the "vibe" of a vintage kit more than a bunch of modern double braced cymbal and hi hat stands.
And as I remember, John, you have cornered the market on the Gretsch Monster HiHat Stand. That stand and their Floating Action bass pedals are sweetness!

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After dealing with vintage hardware on the road for years during its heyday, I'll take modern stuff all day long. My YESS mounts, along with the other DW, Tama, and Roc 'n Soc, just work. Dependably. I don't ask them for a vibe. I just want them to work. Every. Time.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I would say to have a few pieces of some cool vintage hardware to use at home but for playing out use modern hardware because of the dependability and also you wouldn’t want to damage the vintage stuff.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a Rogers Supreme hi hat and Swivo bass drum pedal. I also have the new lightweight Rogers cymbal stands and snare stand. Best of both worlds. The Rogers swivo tom mounts and FT hex legs and brackets were excellent. I'd be happy to use them on a modern drum set.

I have a Ludwig CM set with Elite tom mount and leg brackets. Great stuff but totally over engineered and way too robust for practicality sake.

Last edited:

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have old cymbals so I have to use old cymbal stands (the cymbals' center hole will not fit on modern stands-- the spindle on modern stands is too wide). That said, some 70's stuff is just fine (particularly the Ludwig and Slingerland stuff)

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The DW 5000 falls under the old hardware category since it’s relatively unchanged for over 60 years.

Aside from that I prefer modern hardware.
Updating the toe clamp was a huge improvement for those. I had an older 80s-90s version of that pedal, and it would never stay attached to my bass drum.

Fungus Amungus

Reaction score
I reluctantly cast this for New/Modern due to the amount of great, highend gear made in years gone by. Not speaking of the "Old Gibraltar Gear" (Good GOD, what a pile of Turds), or most any "Far Eastern" Company's Old Gear (remember forearm size pieces of Chrome Plating dropping off a cymbal stand & then breaking in two, after a Leg fly's off & impales the sound-man?) BUT...some of it was good...the Ludy Hercules ("oh Hercules-Hercules") Gear starting in the late '60's(?), the Sonor Gear was always great, as was most all German engineered gear, though most was over engineered...and Over-Priced! The only problem was that if you didn't work for a music store, you couldn't afford it! LOL! I was 15 when I got what they called a "Partial Endorsement" from Roger & Paiste, which meant getting gear for Cost, which in '72-'73 was a damn good deal! Especially since it was the early years of Rogers "Memory Lock" Hardware...I remember opening up those boxes and seeing the Big-Beefy Pedals & Stands! I'd never seen anything like it before, me and my buddy Alan Holt (a GREAT Drummer out of B'ham) sat there with our mouths hanging open. That was the general reaction to the New Age Hardware!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I use 60s gretsch stands all around. Particularly with cymbals, the old stands dissipated energy by moving a little. That's much, much safer for your cymbals than heavy duty stands . On a heavy stand, when you slam a cymbal, all the energy is transfered to the cymbal which results in cracks. The older, thinner stands dissipated the energy evenly, saving many a cymbal, mine included.

Last edited: