vintage drum sccore

Reaction score
Hey guys i made a good find on these drums....i believe this isn't an original wrap...its sloppy, it looks like wallpaper.
i like the color combo...but its cheap looking the way the wrap is wrinkled...some blue peaking thru....sadly, i don't think that is original too.
i believe this old timer....wasn't thinking about refurb...he just wanted to play.
idon't know if original wrap is still there.....badge isn't that i can feel.
"Radio King " engraved hoop....it does have!
not certain of year....but have a good idea based on lugs.

Attachments

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1940's Radio King snare. That's cool. The snare tension knob and throw off lever knob are the older, slimmer styles. So that could be 1940-1947.....probably the first part of that range. Too bad the cloud badge wasn't there. They had several versions of it in the 40's. If you gave a shot of the throw off, with bottom hoop, and butt plate might be able to date it more closely. Extended 15-3/4 inch wires with the string attachments rather than the metal straps. Very desirable 1 ply all maple drum. Is there a tone control still on it? The type of felt mufflers and the knob can help in dating too.

The hi hat cymbals have that 40's to 50's look as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
1940's Radio King snare. That's cool. The snare tension knob and throw off lever knob are the older, slimmer styles. So that could be 1940-1947.....probably the first part of that range. Too bad the cloud badge wasn't there. They had several versions of it in the 40's. If you gave a shot of the throw off, with bottom hoop, and butt plate might be able to date it more closely. Extended 15-3/4 inch wires with the string attachments rather than the metal straps. Very desirable 1 ply all maple drum. Is there a tone control still on it? The type of felt mufflers and the knob can help in dating too.

The hi hat cymbals have that 40's to 50's look as well.
Hey yes it does have the double muffler....i will rip back some of the wrap to see if mpre color comes through. There is a crappy blue...that doesnt look original where the wrap is ripped.
I will take some more pics when i can.

Reaction score
Very neat find! I bet they sound great.

Mike
The snare i was pretty impressed by.../its a neat piece of history, all of it.
The wood temple blocks are neat as well...tomorrow i am taking the set to my guitarist friends house who is learning to play drums....
I am gonna open it up...volume wise as he lives more out towards the country...should be fun

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh lucky you, great score. I'd play around A LOT with that snare and try various heads and maybe wires? Though if it sounds ok with the original snare wires all is well, if not I use the Canopus vintage plated wires, they sound the best and they are copied off the original slingerland wires. :angel3: Try calfskin maybe? Sounds the best on mine. If the heads fit tight on it then I'd use remo classic fit , I use the ambassador one. Have fun.

Reaction score
Hey guys i made a good find on these drums....i believe this isn't an original wrap...its sloppy, it looks like wallpaper.
i like the color combo...but its cheap looking the way the wrap is wrinkled...some blue peaking thru....sadly, i don't think that is original too.
i believe this old timer....wasn't thinking about refurb...he just wanted to play.
idon't know if original wrap is still there.....badge isn't that i can feel.
"Radio King " engraved hoop....it does have!
not certain of year....but have a good idea based on lugs.

Attachments

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That throw off area certainly fits with the 1941-47 RK's. You sure that isn't a real red diamond pearl wrap? There are some out there....very few though. Just the complete throw off is worth $150+. Hard to find.

Reaction score
That throw off area certainly fits with the 1941-47 RK's. You sure that isn't a real red diamond pearl wrap? There are some out there....very few though. Just the complete throw off is worth $150+. Hard to find.
Yeah, Tama Cw. Its really wrinkled, and it is extented over the bearing edge in a few spots...feels like wallpaper....its super sloppy as well.

Attachments