Vintage Drum Tuning Tips

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They sound good. I know the sound can vanish into thin air outside, the bass does sound a tad dry. I would tighten the batter quarter turn per lug or so. Thx for the vid!

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They sound good. I know the sound can vanish into thin air outside, the bass does sound a tad dry. I would tighten the batter quarter turn per lug or so. Thx for the vid!
Many thanks. I'll try that on the bass and see how its sitting.

mrmike

Reaction score
Edges hoops and heads. Edges are always mentioned but often over looked are if the hoops are round and fit the heads and shell. If the drums are slightly oversized then vintage style heads may also help.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Precisely cut and smooth bearing edges are paramount for clean and accurate intonation.

Last edited:

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My bass drum batter is roughly 1/2 turn on each lug from finger tight (10 lugs) and the reso is currently pitched slightly below that.
Sounds very nice but still a tad short sounding.
I'll bet a full non ported reso would sound killer but not the most versatile sound for a lot of what I need.

So thinking of getting an Aquarian modern vintage w/felt strip for when needed and keeping the EQ3 for the 80% of gigs when a more conventional dead sound is needed.

Any endorsements for the Aquarian ? Any thing else I should try tuning wise with my current setup ?

paulwells73

Reaction score
My bass drum batter is roughly 1/2 turn on each lug from finger tight (10 lugs) and the reso is currently pitched slightly below that.
Sounds very nice but still a tad short sounding.
I'll bet a full non ported reso would sound killer but not the most versatile sound for a lot of what I need.

So thinking of getting an Aquarian modern vintage w/felt strip for when needed and keeping the EQ3 for the 80% of gigs when a more conventional dead sound is needed.

Any endorsements for the Aquarian ? Any thing else I should try tuning wise with my current setup ?
Your drums and tuning sound excellent to me. Personally, I’d go for a Remo Coated Ambassador as a front head, rather than the Modern Vintage. Add your own felt strip if you want.