Vintage Drums down under?

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know a few of yous guys live down here in Oz, and I've been here about a week on tour, and I've got a few days off, and I'm looking to check out few vintage gear spots. Are there any? Are any affordably worth my time?

Also, beautiful country BTW.

ebok45

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where are you JayT? I work at a drum store in Melbourne, Billy Hydes Flemington - however we only sell new gear. So in terms of vintage drums in Melbourne there isn't really much, other than a few small time guys dealing out of their houses. If you're in Melbourne though and near Flemington (Just outside the city) come in and say g'day!

Andy

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome Jay T. Yes this is a beautiful country. Hard to find good vintage gear though. Even harder to get good deals. Our prices here are about three to four times that of the US. Most folks I know get there stuff on ebay from the US.Who are you here with? Are you here for the festivals? I'm in Melbourne and so are other forumites Ebok 45 Peter 56 and WMP Chris. Ebok and I work at a shop called Billyhydes in Flemington and WMP Chris works at the Blackburn branch. Neither store has any vintage stuff, but drop in for a chat if you can. Enjoy your visit.

Blackdog

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know a few of yous guys live down here in Oz, and I've been here about a week on tour, and I've got a few days off, and I'm looking to check out few vintage gear spots. Are there any? Are any affordably worth my time?

Also, beautiful country BTW.
There's only one place I know about. Drum Palace (www.drumpalace.com.au)in Melbourne
Expensive, for example they have a Ludwif 65/66 Downbeat kit for $A2,199 (at it's been reduced!)

If you're out for touch of (new)Australiana drumming have a try of a Sleishman snare... lovely (but not cheap)

Cheers

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm here with a band called Thunderheist. We played in Mornington on Sunday, and then we are playing the Palace tonite.

Crazy about the JF for $2199!! If I get a chance to pop over to your shops I certainly will!

A Stick

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm here with a band called Thunderheist. We played in Mornington on Sunday, and then we are playing the Palace tonite.

Crazy about the JF for $2199!! If I get a chance to pop over to your shops I certainly will!
Hey Jay;

When did Thunderheist decide to become a real live working band?

Cheers;

Adrian

JayT

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
About 9 months ago Adrian. It's been really interesting. We play alot of the hip hop songs, and alot of the disco songs. Sometimes one part of the set goes over better than the other.

But I can say though, the thumpy, dry, sound of 3-ply drums works so well for this project. And I'm glad the band thinks so too. So I get to keep playing my vintage kits! My backline tech rider asks specifically for 60's Ludwigs and I've only ever gotten them twice on tour. But our first gig out in Perth, I got a really nice set of brand new Luddys that weren't bad at all!

I'll pop over to Bill Hydes today. You guys supplied the backline I used last night! Thanks!

Latest posts